which bedding?

IBPerez

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2015
Hey everyone! How is it going?
I need some advice on some bedding I should use for my hens,
I want to make them comfortable enough for them.
any suggestions?

advice on some bedding I should use for my hens,

any suggestions?
I use Pine shavings in a perfect world. When that is not available I use wood pellets There advantages and disadvantages to both. Bottom line they get the job done. Oh one time I used peat moss. I could not get either of my first choices.

I personally raise hens as a hobby; and for their manure to enrich my vegetable garden any thing else the hens provide is merely a bonus.

Here is one BONUS NOW not many people can enjoy seeing in their back yard on a regular basis.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

I would also put pine shavings. It is more absorbent then straw and is warmer then sand. Pine shavings can be used in many climates compares to sand. You could use sand depending on your climate. if you do go with pine shavings you may want to look into putting sweet pdz in the coop with the pine shavings. It will absorb more which means it wont have to be changed as often.

Hope this helps! Have a great time with your chickens!:cool:

Last edited:
I like that idea! Plus it would go great in the compost pile come spring time.

I use old hay and pine shavings.
i have so many leaves and thought to myself why pay for bedding when I have so much free bedding here. I feel like the leaves do a better job of keeping the smell down and as you said great for mulching.

And it's free! What a fantastic idea, thank you.
I am ALL about composting. I even compost natural fiber clothes, vacuum debris, and dryer lint.

ETA: what a lovely looking coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom