Which bird to choose?

Southshore

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Hi all! Hope you and your birds are well. I am new to keeping parrots but have had the experience of handling some really wild species of animals. I want to ultimately have a Scarlet Macaw,but I don't want to jump into it unprepared. I was hoping someone here can guide me to the one species I should start my journey with but I don't want to start with the extreme opposite end of the spectrum and get a super calm parrot such as the Pionus or the Poicephalus family. I want to start with a moderate bird. The options I am looking into currently are the Indian Ring Neck, the Alexandrine parakeet (I live in Pakistan where these birds are native and thus HUGE savings on the cost of bird) or the Red Fronted Macaw.

I would love to hear your opinion on this. Looking forward to hearing from you :) All advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Could find much about the temperament of the Red Fronted Macaw on the internet. If someone could send me a link with detailed information on temperent and training that would be just great!

I always kinda hate that people think about "starter birds". Any parrot will live for decades, so get one you really, really want. Instead of getting a starter bird, find a way to be around birds.

Thank about it like this, a scarlet macaw will cost (near me) about $1500 to $1800. How much time do you spend to put that much money in your pocket? Spend at least half as much time in the company of Scarlet Macaws, volunteer at a rescue, join a bird club, work for a breeder, pet-sit, find a way. If, at the end of that time, you are madly in love and think this is a great idea, get the bird you want. If not, rethink everything.

I always kinda hate that people think about "starter birds". Any parrot will live for decades, so get one you really, really want. Instead of getting a starter bird, find a way to be around birds.

Thank about it like this, a scarlet macaw will cost (near me) about $1500 to $1800. How much time do you spend to put that much money in your pocket? Spend at least half as much time in the company of Scarlet Macaws, volunteer at a rescue, join a bird club, work for a breeder, pet-sit, find a way. If, at the end of that time, you are madly in love and think this is a great idea, get the bird you want. If not, rethink everything.
I think when people ask about starter birds, they mean the same thing as starter fish or plants. Ones that can live with small mistakes very occasionally. Certain species are far more delicate than others, and often, unfortunately, those are the ones that people like to get because they're pretty.

I want a school of red belly parranah(sp?), but they are not a fish to just get for your first round. People tend to do practice rounds a lot, and getting an animal that can handle an occasional mistake is often a better choice to start with, and then if you want to continue, you can always get that next one after a bit if you are learning and working with with current one

I think when people ask about starter birds, they mean the same thing as starter fish or plants. Ones that can live with small mistakes very occasionally. Certain species are far more delicate than others, and often, unfortunately, those are the ones that people like to get because they're pretty.

I want a school of red belly parranah(sp?), but they are not a fish to just get for your first round. People tend to do practice rounds a lot, and getting an animal that can handle an occasional mistake is often a better choice to start with, and then if you want to continue, you can always get that next one after a bit if you are learning and working with with current one
Yes, I understand the concept. But what happens to the practice animal? I've rescued spider plants and pothos from dumpsters, I've sold on fish to other tanks, but once you're a year or 3 in to this Indian Ringneck that you got to practice on and are ready for the bird you actually want, what then?
Multiple parrots go far past having a pet and into being a lifestyle, they are HUGELY demanding creatures and do not do well with middle child syndrome. You've had your year of "practice" and the bird still has 25+ years of life.

Are you keeping an animal that you didn't actually want for longer than it takes to have a baby, raise it up and see a grandchild?

And birds Do Not rehome well. I would take on a second, third or fifth home dog or cat without hesitation. I raise horses, who also live for 30 years and a horse will have an average to 6 homes throughout it's life - it's generally good for them, even. But a rehomed parrot? This is an animal with behavioral problems that is going to consume HUGE amounts of my time and energy. Oh, but he doesn't have behavioral problems. He will, as soon as you switch homes/people/routine.

If you're going to get a "starter" bird, my first advice remains don't. And if you absolutely MUST, at least get a budgie or lovebird or something that will be perfectly content to have an aviary and a couple of buddies and never interact with you again once you get the bird you actually want.

Back
Top Bottom