Which brand of feed do you use and why??

Yep, I have had the best the results with the layer mash that the local feed mill grinds and mixes. It is 2% higher in protein, than commercial feed. The hens really like it and waste almost none compared to the commercial feed.

It is fresher than store bought feeds, and everyone knows that chickens will starve before they eat stale feed.

The cost is around 15% less also.

bigzio

I use ADM Alliance Pen Pals brand and Faithway Feeds layer pellets because they do still contain animal protein. ADM ALLIANCE has a locally milled layer pellet that is 22% protein, thin pellets, no dust, wonderful feeds.
On occasion, I use the Super Breeder Crumble from my Southern States feedstore, but I just got a bag and its full of weevils
sad.png
-taking it back in a day or two when I'm back in town.

I believe they're $9.99 or $10.75, cant remember which. Very reasonable for what you're getting. I get mine at the Fannin County Co-op. The Pride & Pleasure 16% layer pellets are only $8.50 and even the Purina feedstore in town started carrying those after numerous requests.

Last edited:
I use Agway's 16% Layer pellets b/c Agway is close and the are no animal products in it and my customers want veggie eggs. [I tell them they free range, but they don't seem to count bugs and worms as "meat"].

I just went to the only feed store in the area and they stock Purina Start & Grow so that was my only option.

Is that really a complete diet for chicks? My chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and eat meal worms once in a while. Is there grit in the Purina Start and Grow or do I have to find some to add? The feed store didn't have any grit that I saw.

I feed layena this time of yr and for the chicks i use a 26 % starter milled by my local feed place its so far been a excellent feed and my babies love it. I also feed a bit of scrach too this time of yr due to its still quite cold at nights and they get it before they bed down at night, When it warms up they will get even less scrach a handful here or there. Ducks are on a 15% with layena being added in now due to they are starting to lay.
allie

Back
Top Bottom