Which bred lays the most eggs?

Commercial layer breeds will but they tend to be unsuited to most people's setups. They have been bred to lay in confinement and are flighty birds that do poorly free ranging or sometimes even in large pens. They panic over things too easily. Sometimes you can find lines that have been bred to be calmer and do well in a larger variety of situations. Generally though people do not use them for a home flock. I don't keep any for egg numbers only egg and breed uniqueness so I can't really help you with the ones that lay the most eggs. For a good overview though try the henderson chicken chart.
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

If you want brown eggs, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and sex links are known to be the best. I have some red sex links and they are the sweetest birds I have too. If you want white eggs, you would definately want White Leghorns. I have some and they are really nice too. I have one Brown Leghorn and it definately fits the reputation of leghorns, if you look at her, she thinks you are going to kill her- she is crazy!

If I were you, I would get some of each if possible, Its really fun and interesting to have a variety.

Black Australorp. My BA has been laying for 4 weeks - even in the dark cold rainy weather she's been laying an egg a day. She is even laying some of them in less than 24 hours from the previous egg. This morning she laid 2 eggs, 3 hours apart! Both eggs were large, well formed with strong satiny shells. I've never seen anything like this. I wish I had a whole flock of BAs!

Back
Top Bottom