Which Breed for Beginner

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MaineGrant, Mar 16, 2012.

1. MaineGrant

MaineGrant Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Auburn, ME
    This weekend I am picking up a coop (3.5' x 4') and would like to get 4 chickens for our backyard. I have a question on what breed to get and if it is better to get older chicks (8 weeks) or younger chicks (days old).

There is a woman selling very young buff orpingtons for $2.50. There is also a far much closer selling: Comets, Sex links, Bard Rocks, RI Reds, Aracanas, and Buff Orpingtons these are being sold when they are 8 weeks old for $9 each. Since this is my first time with chickens I feel I would be better served getting the older chickens, from what I have read baby chicks seem very fragile.

Also, out of the list of available which breed would work best for a beginner? I was leaning toward Orpingtons but have also read good things about the Bard Rocks.

Thanks,
    Maine Grant

2. blueferral

blueferral Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    The cost difference for 4 chicks at 9 dollars vs 2.50 is cheaper than buying a light and thermometer to make sure you have the temperature right in the brooder. I'd go for the 8 week olds if your first time. As for breed, that is up to you. Read up on the different breeds see what you like.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If you've never had chicks, I would say go for the older ones. You can put them in the coop, from the get. You may need to give them some heat if it gets too cold. But here in Ohio we are nearing 80's next week. As for what kind I would go for RI reds. They lay x large eggs from the start. They are dark brown with spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by