Which breed has yellow legs????

Well, I'm not familiar with either breed, except that it was noted leghorns have white earlobes and yellow skin. This bird also has a smallish comb and typical gamefowl coloring. That is why I suggested a cross of the two, altho I could be wrong.

Jody

Now that I am home and can see the pics, I say silver leghorn. Is she a hatchery bird? It could even be a throwback of a silver phoenix, many phoenix have leghorn in them. The other hen looks like a silver phoenix, she has slate legs.

Quote:
Don't know if she is a hatchery bird. Traded some of my birds for her. I will have to look and see what a silver leghorn looks like. I was told by the previous owner she was a silver phoenix. The other hen is not a silver phoenix. She's a old english. Reason I know this is b/c I contact a phoenix breeder to ask him about the other bird and he told me the phoenix's tend to carry there tails and back in a lowered position, which she does not.

Kim

They are supposed to carry their tails lower, that doesnt mean that they all do. The standard says that the hens tails are supposed to be about 25 degrees, there are some that have a tail angle of 0 and others that have a 90 degree tail. Old english are supposed to have white legs, not slate. Old english also have tighter fitting feathers, phoenix tend to be slightly more loose feathered, that is like saying that a buff orpington and a buff plymouth rock are the same. they both may have the same color and a single comb, but the tail angles are different, one is loosely feathered and has white legs, the other is closer feathered and has yellow legs. There are no other breeds that look like the other hen that are silver with a single comb, white earlobes, and slate legs, the type is like that of a phoenix, the tail is just different.
I still say that the other is a phoenix, just buy a cheap black and white APA standard on their site for $15 and read the standard.

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification regarding the OE and Phoenix and what color legs they are suppose to have. I guess I need to look more into this. Thanks again.
smile.png

Your welcome, when I first started out with chickens, there was alot of confusion, I could barely tell one breed from another, now the differences are so obvious to me, I sometimes have to remind myself that there are alot of begginers out there. Sorry if I sounded harsh in my previous post.

I am wondering why my 11 week old presumably barred rock pullet or cockerel who had a barred rock dad and probably a barred rock mom has such dark yellow legs, that none of the parent birds has.

Attachments

• Photo-pulket (2).jpg
    Photo-pulket (2).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom