Which breed is good at being Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jloftin60, Nov 22, 2008.

1. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    Which breed seems to be more broody?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Silkies win the prize followed by cochins, buff orps, Japanese bantams and old English game bantams in my experience. I think most any bantam hen is known for going broody but silkies are notorious for it. Hope this helps.

Ellen

3. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Yep i agree silkies are the best, but cochins are good too.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Silkies - they are brooding machines and excellent mothers. Mine lay for a few weeks, then go broody without fail. At any given time 1/3 to 1/2 of my Silkies are broody and they start young. My first one went broody at 5 months and she sat for 6 weeks straight (I didn't give her eggs right away). Most of mine are very determined and will sit until something hatches.

Make sure you really want broodies if you get Silkies - they are brooding machines. They don't always choose the most convenient times to brood - I have 3 broodies right now and it's 20 deg outside!

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

SIIILLLKIIIEEESSS are notorious for going broody.. cochins too. i have had a few orps go broody on me this year [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Okay, HELP Southernbelle! My 29 week old silkie has decided to be a determined broody. It's cold outside! Should I just give her a few eggs and be done with it? Or is it possible to really break her of it?

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Their will is greater than yours *evil laugh* give in and give her eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, I can't break mine or wait them out. You might as well give in and give her a few eggs. Watching your babies with their babies is sooooo cute [​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Sheesh. At very least she oughta be laying her own eggs to hatch. No fair going broody without eggs!
    Silly silkie. [​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh yes SILKIES! I had 2 broodies just hatch some eggs for me, and 1 went broody while those 2 were broody. I am not giving out any more eggs though... 2 cold outside for me to mess with it.

I'll be breeding and hatching in the spring, so I'll let them hatch again then when I can sell the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by