Which breed is good at being Broody?

Silkies win the prize followed by cochins, buff orps, Japanese bantams and old English game bantams in my experience. I think most any bantam hen is known for going broody but silkies are notorious for it. Hope this helps.

Ellen

Silkies - they are brooding machines and excellent mothers. Mine lay for a few weeks, then go broody without fail. At any given time 1/3 to 1/2 of my Silkies are broody and they start young. My first one went broody at 5 months and she sat for 6 weeks straight (I didn't give her eggs right away). Most of mine are very determined and will sit until something hatches.

Make sure you really want broodies if you get Silkies - they are brooding machines. They don't always choose the most convenient times to brood - I have 3 broodies right now and it's 20 deg outside!

SIIILLLKIIIEEESSS are notorious for going broody.. cochins too. i have had a few orps go broody on me this year
smile.png

Okay, HELP Southernbelle! My 29 week old silkie has decided to be a determined broody. It's cold outside! Should I just give her a few eggs and be done with it? Or is it possible to really break her of it?

Quote:
Their will is greater than yours *evil laugh* give in and give her eggs!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Seriously, I can't break mine or wait them out. You might as well give in and give her a few eggs. Watching your babies with their babies is sooooo cute
love.gif

Oh yes SILKIES! I had 2 broodies just hatch some eggs for me, and 1 went broody while those 2 were broody. I am not giving out any more eggs though... 2 cold outside for me to mess with it.

I'll be breeding and hatching in the spring, so I'll let them hatch again then when I can sell the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom