Which Breed of Rooster do you prefer?

Phoenix, hands down, followed by bantam Cornish. Have yet to have an aggressive male in either, and they treat their hens very well
That’s good to know about Cornish Bantams! I am planning on getting some next year and maybe now I’ll keep a rooster too. I had two Cornish bantam hens and they were the sweetest, cutest birds! I miss them.

I have a Splash Ameraucana rooster that I really like. He was raised up under a flock led by an Old English Game bantam rooster and a bunch of mature hens. He does a great job of watching out for the flock, calls the ladies over for treats, and dances for them when he wants to mate. All of my Ameraucanas are flightier than some of my other breeds, which I like in a rooster. He does his job, but avoids me and my kids. He also has a magnificent white beard that I love 😂

IMG_1458.jpeg

Here’s the boys, Charlie in the front and Stripey Pants in the back, in case any one wants to see. 😊

Now I have another question for y’all. I use to keep all 12 chickens together in the same coop until a couple of months ago when Charlie’s flock of 6 got their own coop and pen. I thought it would work out better that way because even when they were all together, there seemed to be two distinct flocks. They do still get to free range together occasionally. Charlie and Stripey sometimes posture at each other, but they have never fought. And now I just saw Charlie mate with one of Stripey’s hens right in front of Stripey and Stripey didn’t seem to mind. Could it be Charlie is viewed by Stripey as head rooster of all 12 chickens and that is why Stripey seems so incompetent?

Stripey is still a cockerel, not mature, and so Charlie is still #1. That may change, or not. If you are planning on raising chicks of each breed, the flocks need to be separate for three weeks before keeping eggs for hatching.
Depending on the size of your hens compared to each male, fertilization may or may not occur. Watch them!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom