Which breed(s) should I get for a two hen flock?

herremadavid

Chirping
Oct 21, 2013
I live in the city of Grand Rapids MI and they have just allowed chickens on a permit basis. I am anticipating my permit issued in the next few weeks. My daughter was born last fall and I am very excited to teach her where her food comes from. Now the exciting part, getting to plan everything!

I am only going to get two hens for my flock. I am planning on building a 2 foot by 6 foot coop structure which will reside in my garage. Then I plan to make a doggy door hole to get outside to a run that will be about 6 foot by 2 1/2 foot. Is this enough space for my ladies?

Additionally, curious which breed or do I dare do a mix breed with only two ladies. I have a local hatchery http://townlinehatchery.com/ where I can get some basic breeds. I was thinking of just getting two Rhode Island Reds, but was thinking also of getting a barred rock and an australorp. Or do I do a online hatchery? Really looking for advice on breeds. Would like a solid egg layer, and must be cold hardy because of our cold winters.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken keeping! Good news on the newly legalized hobby in your area !!

*I* would bump up the size of your coop and run - it is impossible to give them too much room and, while you only plan for two at the moment, you may find that you want to expand your flock next year to keep a steady production of eggs flowing as the new babies start to lay about the time your original birds might be thinking of taking some time off. If there is a maximum number of birds involved in the new ordinance I would build to suit that limit as you will quickly find that you love these birds but really wish you had "one of those" as you start seeing different breeds pictured here on BYC, etc. Alternatively, will you be allowing the birds to range within the confines of your yard but outside their run?
You can mix breeds whether you have 2 birds or 20 - so have fun with it. I don't think you can go wrong with an Australorp, espcially with a child in the mix, as they are known for their friendliness and are great layers. Do you want just brown eggs or would you like brown and white eggs - or even green/blue in the mix? Do you like birds with feathered feet or clean legs? Are there particular colors or patterns you really like? Do you want birds mainly as a source of eggs or do you want birds that are pets that also lay eggs?

Last edited:
You need to think bigger. 2' is way too narrow for any large fowl hen. She needs to be able to stretch and flap her wings. 4' in any direction should be your minimum coop or run. You have to give them an out if the bully of the flock is after them. 2 1/2' makes them a sitting duck. You also want it larger for good air flow. In bad weather, they need enough room to be comfortable if they choose to not venture outside.

You should have a 3 hen minimum. If something happens to one (and it will), you don't want to be left with a single hen. They do not do well by themselves plus certain times of the year can be challenging to find replacement hens. Personally, I advocate staying away from RIR unless you are doing all RIR. They have a reputation of being bullies in a mixed flock. All the other breeds you mention are nice hens with decent laying. Don't forget an EE for the green eggs. I would go local if you can. Chicks will be less stressed and they should be more willing to work with you.

Thank you both for your feedback!

I totally agree on the amount of space for both pieces. The ordinance says you can only have 6 sq ft of coop space per chicken. So my coop size was based on that. My wife and I are negotiating on the size of the run and number of hens. Since we live in an old neighborhood our backyard is very small, and I already have a 30 ft by 5 ft garden, so the chicken run will take up space that we do not already have. Hopefully before I start purchasing things I can get more leeway on both fronts !

Based on both of your recommendations I am leaning more towards a mixed flock of a barred rock and a black australorp.

As fair as type of birds, I want ladies that will lay fairly well, cold hardy (will not heat coop), and are decently friendly. I also do not want them to be broody, but I know both breeds I have already mentioned have the potential to go that way.

Back
Top Bottom