Which breed scratches the most?

I have some Spitzhaubens and I don't know if I ever see them scratch, dust bathe yes, scratch no. I've only thought about this since reading your thread and so now I've been watching for it, esp when they are out free ranging. They seem to like to pick things from the surface. Meanwhile, my brown leghorns, in the photo in post #2, are obsessive digging machines.

I have some Spitzhaubens and I don't know if I ever see them scratch, dust bathe yes, scratch no. I've only thought about this since reading your thread and so now I've been watching for it, esp when they are out free ranging. They seem to like to pick things from the surface. Meanwhile, my brown leghorns, in the photo in post #2, are obsessive digging machines.
I noticed that about Leghorns when I had them. They didn't just forage they went under things, into tight spaces and would constantly dig. I mostly had Leghorns before I started my leaf scratching pens. I assumed all chickens scratched as much as they did did but turns out leghorns are obsessive scratchers.

Back
Top Bottom