which breed should i get?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wildriverswolf90, Aug 14, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I am want to buy a duckling pair but I don't which kind is better for me... I need one that is sweet, bears confinement well, egglaying isn't important but broodiness is...? Any ideas?

2. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    In the search box above POST TOPIC link, type in WHICH BREED SHOULD I GET and you will have a ton of opinions on this topic. Hopefully all your answers will be there!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is no bad breed of duck. Pick out the one you like the looks of, then study a bit to see if it will suit you.

Temperament on ducks can vary hugely depending upon who the breeder was. Breeder has more effect on temperament than the actual breed.

Sorry, but it is difficult for me to imagine any breed of duck tolerating close confinement well. If you must keep your birds in a very small area, perhaps chickens would be better suited to your needs.

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] In my humble opinion I think you should try CALL DUCKS!!! [​IMG] They are the best ever; they are cute, addicting, and sweet, they come in lots of colors, small, pretty, loud, cute... [​IMG] I all ready said that didn't I... and mine go broody all the time! [​IMG]

5. lotusgirl40

lotusgirl40 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    I have Indian Runners and I deffinately would NOT recommend them for what you are looking for. A friend has call ducks and they might be a better choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by