which breed to choose

Zwillingsmama

Songster
Jun 7, 2018
SF Bay Area
I want to rejuvenate my flock and are looking to buy 3 chicks at my local feed store. I have currently 5 two year old chicken and I want to replace 2-3 of them. I have an EE, OE, SS, BR and BCM. I will definitely say good bye to my SS. She is a bully, an escape artist and not a good layer. Probably also my BCM as she is not a nice girl either. Since I am urban, I am looking for docile, quiet birds with a decent egg production. Tomorrow my feed store will have the following breeds available:
Rhode Island red, Buff Orpington, Bielefelder, Dominique, Light Brahma, Barred Rock, which 3 would you pick and why.
Thank you, I appreciate your input

Personally I would recommend a buff orpington. They are decent egg layers, quiet, and the sweetest chickens ever. Mine would let me pick them up and pet them without struggling. I have not had any of the other chicken breeds, but I have heard good things about the RIR hens. I hope my opinion is helpful. 😊

Last edited:
I think if you're looking for docile, friendly birds, you can't go wrong with buff orpingtons, dominiques, and brahmas. I have all three breeds in my mixed flock. They all get along well and are friendly with my kids and me. I have not owned but have heard that barred rocks and Rhode Island Reds are great egg producers but a little more assertive... so there's a possibility they could be bullies if the other breeds tend to be mild and timid.

any thoughts on Bielefelder? just asking because I live now in the US, but I am originally from a town close to Bielefeld in Germany, and there would be some sentiment about having a "home" chicken

Thanks for all your input - I winded up picking a Buff Orpington a Bielefelder and they had Easter Eggers so I took one too.

Attachments

• 26A401F6-94A5-425C-836E-EC3A997FCA47.jpeg
    26A401F6-94A5-425C-836E-EC3A997FCA47.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 9
I’ve had light Brahma buff Orpington and barred rock. Never had the others but out of those the buff Orpington are the best layers and the most docile and best personality.

Back
Top Bottom