Which breed to choose?

Myfriendconnie

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 22, 2010
Hi everyone! We're planning on getting come chickens soon, but I can't decide on breeds!

Originally, we were planning on getting 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Andalusian Blues, 5 Production Reds, and 5 Silkies. (I know the silkies aren't awesome layers, but I REALLY want some!)

But... then I researced some more, and I saw that production reds have been known to be mean, and we do NOT want mean chickens! So now we're still planning on getting 5 each of the other 3 listed, and 5 of one of the following breeds:

Black Sex Link
Golden Comet
Black Australorp

Which would y'all most recommend? We've never had chickens before, if it makes any difference. We're looking for something docile and friendly with high egg production, and from what I've read, all 3 of the above breeds qualify, but I'm not sure which would be best.

Opinions?

Australorp! They are sweet if not a little shy. You should have no problem mixing them with silkies. Also, they are excellent layers!

Also, can anyone tell me anythign about Mille Fleur bantams? Is it just a color or actually a breed? I just saw a picture of someone's, and I just LOVE them! I can't seem to find any good information, though.

Mille fleur is a color, but most commonly mistaken as a breed. The actual breed that you are most likely talking about is a d'Uccle Booted bantam.

Last edited:
i have two rhode island reds and one is very gentle and beautiful and the other is not at all, the other one pecks my feet and makes them bleed(why i where shoes in my chicken coop now) and she will attack my leg for no reason but dominance, i guess, but i love all of my chickens no matter what because i have almost had these chickens for four years now and i am adding to the collection as much as i can

We have GSLs, only ones we've ever had, but they seem nice to me.

They're VERY curious... my pink shoelaces were a big hit, as was my wedding ring (just turn it around)... they will wait for me at the door when they hear any human walking their way... and often the dogs FTM... they'll jump on a roost and snoop, so I reckon they don't qualify as flighty... but they also aren't thrilled to be grabbed and pet... though I might have been able to help with that if I'd held them more as chicks. I was too paranoid about overhandling I think. But even so they're nice girls.

My first experience really so I don't know how they compare to others... but I'm happy with mine.

Have four girls and we average 3 eggs a day... often get four, now and again get 2... but mostly 3.

Still wish I could have a colored basket... but the limit of four and No Roos rule makes that trick with anything but sex links. Overall very happy with our choice.

Back
Top Bottom