Which breed would you recommend out of....

What a gorgeous flock and eggs!!!! Are those the black Penedesencas? We do have a 7 ft tall fence around and only my younger girls tend to fly out so maybe when they get some more weight and mature a little more it won't happen as often
1f64f.png

I love those pictures! Definitely interested in that breed! Thank you!!!!!
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png

I had 7 flocks last spring.
The non-black cocks are from when I had partridge.

Last edited:
One thing I might add on prolific laying--it's great while it's happening...but these birds tend to "run out" at 1 1/2-2 years of age.  If your looking for longevity in laying then the other breeds...that maybe have cycles of broodiness or take egg breaks...may be your best bet.
I think also there is differences in Hatchery stock versus Breeders stock in this subject.  Hatchery will breed to egg laying.  Breeders will breed to show/body type and form.

I hope that makes sense.  I'm not sure if this is  critical for you though, if you are just looking for a bird to stay put in a fence.  :)

We would definitely love to find a breed that has the longevity vs continuos eggs for a shorter period of time! Are there breeds you'd recommend? Also, our chickens go out to free range daily but the smaller ones manage to jump our 7 ft garden fence... sooooo maybe I'm dreaming lol, but I thought maybe a larger breed type would help this not be so common
1f629.png
they sure do love our fresh garden veggies... Even after I give them a big pile of organic spinach. My sweet little girls are such piggies!!
263a.png

Last edited:
Well my Wyandotte is still laying and she's nearly 3. So that's why she's a favorite. The Easter Eggers did not lay over a year, except one and I had 5. Poor longevity for me. And I will say that the New Hampshire and Rir ran into reproduction issues with egg yolk peritonitis. Those were all hatchery birds. I'm gradually adding in Breeder birds now in hopes to find laying longevity.

I have a 6 year old EE that's laying right now. In fact she started up again at the end of December.
The penedesencas were all laying well up to 5. Thanks to a mink massacre, I don't have any that old any more.

Well my Wyandotte is still laying and she's nearly 3. So that's why she's a favorite. The Easter Eggers did not lay over a year, except one and I had 5. Poor longevity for me. And I will say that the New Hampshire and Rir ran into reproduction issues with egg yolk peritonitis. Those were all hatchery birds. I'm gradually adding in Breeder birds now in hopes to find laying longevity.

Very good to know! Thank you! My wyandotte has been great! She's golden laced so in thinking we'll definitely get a silver and maybe another golden

I have a 6 year old EE that's laying right now. In fact she started up again at the end of December.
The penedesencas were all laying well up to 5. Thanks to a mink massacre, I don't have any that old any more.

Wow!!!! 6 years! That's so cool... I've got 2 easter eggers and one laid her first egg yesterday
1f604.png
hopefully she'll be a dependable layer like yours!

Back
Top Bottom