Which Breed???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CooCoo4Chickens, Dec 10, 2010.

1. CooCoo4Chickens

CooCoo4Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2010
    new jersey
    I would like a breed of chicken which will lay but will still be friendly and let me pet and hold it. It also has to be cold hardy. Which breed would you suggest to be the best?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Just about any common breed you can find at a hatchery, feedstore, etc. [​IMG]

All of the following are good layers, friendly, and cold hardy.

Production Reds, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers (commonly sold as "Ameraucanas" ) Black Australorps, Sex Links

But if you really want to try something different, another laid-back, cold hardy, decent layer of gorgeous dark red eggs are French Marans. I would not recommend the Cuckoo color, but the rest are good. [​IMG]

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

4. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Australorp

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Of course I'll suggest the Delawares. I'm in NY and they are still my best layers. Even those over two. A little vaseline on the combs and legs and they're fine, though I haven't had to do that. I keep a couple of heat lights in the coop. They are friendly, but there are others.

Rose or pea comb breeds are good too. You could go with a Cochin cross as cochins are friendly birds. I a Cuckoo Marans / Friz cross and she is friendly as is her mother. Her dad not so much.

Orpingtons are nice too. You'll want to get a heavy breed for the cold areas unless you intend to supply a greater amount of heat.

Wish you the best

Rancher

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    My top suggestions for you are Australorps, French Marans, and Sussex.

I would also suggest Dorkings, Faverolles, Hollands, and Ameraucanas/EasterEggers - but they are not nearly as cold hardy.

7. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    how about brahmas?

very cold hardy, lay ok during winter, and docile and gentle

8. If you get them as day olds (or hatch them yourself) they will identify with you and should be good as pets.

My suggestion would be

Plymouth Rocks, Sex links, & RIR if you have them from day olds you can certainly get them to follow you around, pick them up and they will be comfortable with you.

I have even had Leghorns that liked being petted but that is not the norm for that flighty breed. Spend time with them while gardening ect, and they will be pets for sure. HOPEFULLY! [​IMG]

9. Super Chickenman

Super Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I ,too, like the Brahama's. Very docile, cold hardy, large bird that lays a medium to large size egg.

10. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Turkens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by