Which Breed

roosterfoot

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
I need help. I want egg production but I don`t know which breed is best for jumbo brown eggs and lots of them. So what is the difference if any between Golden comets, Production reds, Cherry eggers or the red or black sex links. Thanks for the help.

Colors?
hu.gif

I have a red sex link (comet) and she's an egg-laying machine. They're advertised as the most productive brown egg layer in the feed stores when they have chicks in the spring. Her eggs are nice and large and she lays almost every day, taking a break here and there but it's really rare. I can't speak for any of the other breeds though.

Sorry I thought I'd answered this one already,

Golden comets or any of the Sex links. As long as you understand that when the two year mark comes around you have to dump them and start over. I suggest the 3, 3, 3 method. 1/3 rd new chicks, 1/3 year old layers and 1/3 two year olds. As they move up the system you get new chicks.

A friend of mine just got rid of all his. I don't think he realized that Hybrids are called "terminal" breeds. Since when they are done you terminate
sickbyc.gif
them.

I wish you well,

Rancher

I have a small flock of 8 birds. Half of them are production breeds (Golden Comets and Cherry Eggers), and the other half are "heritage" breeds for egg color and variety. The comets and eggers are very reliable layers, but I do intend to always have some of the slower growing and producing breeds in my flock for the reasons already mentioned. The 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 idea is an excellent plan.

Back
Top Bottom