Which breed

BonnLBP

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
I'm trying to decide which hens to get. I currently have 4 Black Star/ Road Island Reds. I'm trying to keep the egg production up even with the 'not so sunny' weather that Southern California has been having recently. I figured I have room for 12 hens in the space that I have for them. I would also like to get 2 turkeys to show at the fair in the summer. I have a few different choices: Road Island Red/ Black Stars (currently young egg layers), Welsummers, Americanas Cochins, Cochin roos and, Blue Cochin Roos, (all about 4 weeks old). I have no idea when or where I should/could get turkeys to raise. Any ideas/suggestions? Thx!

Whats a 'Ameracauana cochin' ?? Or did you forget a coma?

Well a good layer is the rhode island reds or black stars, welsummers, and ameracaunas. (Although a lot of ameracauna's are slapped with that name but are EE's, a cross between a ameracauna or aracauna with some other breed of chicken, they usually lay green eggs, unless its an 'olive-egger' which is a blue egg layer like a aracauna or ameracauna crossed with a brown egg layer), cochins are very sweet and can lay well though its not gurranteed.

Opppsss... :p Ya I meant Americana, and or Cochins. Ya. I currently have hens that have been crossed between Rhode Island Reds and Black Stars. They have been laying ok for me but they have laid no eggs for about the past 4 months. :(. Have you had any luck with any of these breeds, or that you know of? :)

Opppsss...
tongue.png
Ya I meant Americana, and or Cochins. Ya. I currently have hens that have been crossed between Rhode Island Reds and Black Stars. They have been laying ok for me but they have laid no eggs for about the past 4 months.
sad.png
. Have you had any luck with any of these breeds, or that you know of?
smile.png

I have a Rhode island red, she was a good layer and was a good mom, but she hasn't been laying since broody.

Yes, my cochin layed (went broody ) about 4 eggs a week,but shes a bantam so they're small. We had a welsummer, but she never laid when we had her (she was old and died of cold shock before summer), never had ameracauna's (yet!)

Oh, and for turkey breeds
Naragansett
Bourben Red
Midget white
BBB or BBW (Broad breasted bronze / white)

Back
Top Bottom