1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EllaM, Oct 15, 2013.

1. EllaM

EllaM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Hi all
    I'm looking to get some chicks as over the past 6 months 2 of our chickens have
    died which leaves only 2 laying for a family of 4. Keep in mind we live in Australia
    and are not millionaire chicken owners, but willing to spend a bit of money if it's
    worth the price. We are looking for average-good layers who are very friendly with
    both people and other chickens but we also want to try out a new breed. We have
    owned plenty of Lohmann Browns, so a colour/pattern change could be interesting.
    Although anything to a very different personality would be just as interesting of course!
    We have raised chicks once before, a couple of years ago, but any tips on raising
    chicks would be appreciated too! (We raised them in winter last time, and now it
    will be Summer while we are raising them, are their any 'rule' changes or tips for that?)

All ideas and contributions are welcome and appreciated!!!
    Thank-you!!!! [​IMG]

2. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Wow Aussie.. well your tenps and time of year are different from the USA so not sure what would be good chickens in the heat Someone from Arizona might have better ideas than I would .There is a guy from Australia on here Ozpat... o rOzpet .He might have some suggestio nsAldo do a search for an Australian thread here I know there are othersGood Luck!

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello,
    My personal favorites are Rhode Island reds. They are friendly, personable & lay daily. They should tolerate your climate well enough. I also checked out: ourlittlefarms/blogspot.com for Australian chickens and came up with Australorp (Australian made), Orpingtons & barred Rocks, all are good layers I'm told.
    Best of luck with your chickies, Sue

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    My personal favorite is the Silkie. they are absoultely adorable and mild mannered gentle and really the lap kitten of chickens. !! They love to cuddle and are a beautiful bird. Here is one of my silkies. Her name is milly. they are truely beautiful birds[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by