Which breeds are the best winter layers?

We got our black australorps as pullets mid summer and they started laying early January! One is a roo and the other three are hens.

We got our black australorps as pullets mid summer and they started laying early January! One is a roo and the other three are hens.

That sounds right. They just got to the age to start laying.

And many breeds will lay through the winter in their first year.

It's good to get chicks in the spring so that the pullets will start laying in the summer and continue laying through winter and later until they have their first molt, usually late summer/early fall.

Purely anecdotal of course, but my Barred Rock lays through her molt, through winter, through a case of tapeworms (poor girl), pretty much anything. She's a tough bird and follows me around the yard telling me all about it. Contrast this to my Buff Orpington who will use any excuse not to lay and goes broody every other month. She's more interested in preening but is a sweet chicken. The Americauna/Easter Egger mystery bird is somewhere in between - takes 2 months off at molt, but otherwise a good layer.

Purely anecdotal of course, but my Barred Rock lays through her molt, through winter, through a case of tapeworms (poor girl), pretty much anything. She's a tough bird and follows me around the yard telling me all about it. Contrast this to my Buff Orpington who will use any excuse not to lay and goes broody every other month. She's more interested in preening but is a sweet chicken. The Americauna/Easter Egger mystery bird is somewhere in between - takes 2 months off at molt, but otherwise a good layer.
Barred Rocks have been my best winter layers. However, Australorps from the same hatchery have been more self-reliant in snowy conditions.

Back
Top Bottom