Which breeds should I get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MsChickenMomma, Jan 29, 2013.

1. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Hello everyone,

I currently have 13 hens (8 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 part RIR and BO hens) and two Rhode Island Red roosters. Six of my hens are going to be five years old in the spring, and will soon pass on. So I am planning on ordering chicks in April. My question is, what breeds should I get?

I live in Michigan, and the weather here in very unpredictable. Summers here can get up to 100+ degrees, and winters can get below zero, but it varies from year to year. I really need chickens that are hot and cold hardy. I also really want some colorful breeds to brighten up my flock. I also can't get any breeds that are too large because my coop is on the smaller side, and I can't get any breeds that are too small, because I live right by the woods and have lots of critters, hawks, etc.

I have only ever had RIR's and BO's, because I have only been raising chickens for the past 2 and a half years, and I have no experience with any other breeds. My dad had a small flock with I was young, and he had some Barred rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Ameraucana's. Which has been making me lean towards getting some Barred Rocks and Ameraucana's. Before I make any final decisions on breeds, I would really like to learn more about other breeds that are hot and cold hardy and have great personality's as well.

If anyone is able to give me some ideas, options, pictures, etc. It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Speckled Sussex, Plymouth Rock and Easter Eggers are wonderful birds.

3. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    We have Speckled Sussexes, Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, & Cuckoo Marans and live in Wisconsin, so the weather is probably similar. This winter is our SS girls' second winter, and they're doing pretty good, they're my favorites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by