Which Breeds Would Be Good for a Newbie?

My only experience is with black astralorp and leghorns. Leghorns lay more eggs but are not friendly. My astralorp is very sweet and very pretty.
Thanks for your reply. Yep, I'm looking or a friendly, great layer. But I actually think I prefer friendly over a more-productive egg layer. Which doesn't make much sense since I'm getting chickens for the eggs. :hmm

Thanks for your reply. Yep, I'm looking or a friendly, great layer. But I actually think I prefer friendly over a more-productive egg layer. Which doesn't make much sense since I'm getting chickens for the eggs. :hmm

Friendly is very much an individual trait.

I don't have a friendly hen in the current batch, but in my first batch I had a Dark Brahma who would pester me until I picked her up while her breed-sister didn't want to have anything to do with petting and cuddling.

My first birds were a black sexlink and a white brahma. I had to rehome them at one point, but later wound up living on the same farm. Neither were exactly cuddly but they were pretty problem free for first time newbie. My next bunch have all been buff orps. Not the brightest crayons in the box but mine free-range the property and so far have been really good with the kids here ( I got 2 new ones this fall, we will see if that holds...they are all different personalities for sure)).

Just be sure to give them lots of attention and handling as babies if you want them to be fairly friendly as they grow up. I go for the nutty chicken lady 'cuddle them until they go to sleep' school of imprinting but that is easy for me to do because I can only keep 2-3 at a time, so I'm not dealing with nurturing a dozen chicks that way.

The meanest chicken I have met so far was an easter-egger my landlord had. After I moved to the farm, my sexlink and brahma found where I was and started coming by all the time. After awhile they would lead the rest of the flock, Stu the rooster and all, over to our place for treats. There was one EE out of the bunch that we called 'Muppet' because she looked like one. She would peck the other birds, go after their food and was not very nice to people who approached her. And good luck catching her to do anything about it, LOL. Breeds are very general categories and in a dozen birds I bet you will find ones that are far nicer than others.

Good luck with your new coop!

I’m getting my coop today :celebrate(a neighbor built it and is delivering and setting it up) and I’m anxious to decide on which chickens I should start out with. I’d be so appreciative of any and all opinions on breeds, brooders v. incubating, etc.

I raised chickens years and years ago and one of the many things I’ve learned from BYC is that I didn’t know much about it then and even less now! I used an incubator then. I don’t remember having the hens hatch their own.

I’d like to have 2 or 3 of several different breeds. I was looking at Barred Rocks, Orpingtons – does the color make any difference?, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Australorps. I also want to get a cockerel. Just one I’m assuming? Which breed would be best for that? Is it best to stick with established breeds instead of something like McMurray’s Whiting True Green?

My main reasons for wanting chickens is for the eggs and for the enjoyment of watching them.

We have hot summers here and sort of cold winters – West Central Idaho high desert. I thought that any of the breeds I listed handle heat and cold well.

I expect it’s early to order but it takes me an age to decide anything…But I wondered if ordering early would be a good idea for like maybe February? I plan on getting a heat plate they can snuggle under. Oh no! another decision on which one to get!

As I said, any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. :bow
I’m getting my coop today :celebrate(a neighbor built it and is delivering and setting it up) and I’m anxious to decide on which chickens I should start out with. I’d be so appreciative of any and all opinions on breeds, brooders v. incubating, etc.

I raised chickens years and years ago and one of the many things I’ve learned from BYC is that I didn’t know much about it then and even less now! I used an incubator then. I don’t remember having the hens hatch their own.

I’d like to have 2 or 3 of several different breeds. I was looking at Barred Rocks, Orpingtons – does the color make any difference?, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Australorps. I also want to get a cockerel. Just one I’m assuming? Which breed would be best for that? Is it best to stick with established breeds instead of something like McMurray’s Whiting True Green?

My main reasons for wanting chickens is for the eggs and for the enjoyment of watching them.

We have hot summers here and sort of cold winters – West Central Idaho high desert. I thought that any of the breeds I listed handle heat and cold well.

I expect it’s early to order but it takes me an age to decide anything…But I wondered if ordering early would be a good idea for like maybe February? I plan on getting a heat plate they can snuggle under. Oh no! another decision on which one to get!

As I said, any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. :bow
I have 6 hens. I got them all at 2 days old and they’re now 7 months. My buff Orpington is by far the friendliest (from the very first). My Amercaunas are both sweet and a bit shy, but friendly, curious, and get along with the others. The Australorp is friendly and very curious. The blue-laced red Wyandotte has been stand-offish from the beginning. She just seems independent. The silver-laced Wyandotte is the bitch-queen, I guess. She spends a lot of time chasing away and pecking at the Amercaunas when I throw out scratch and treats. I guess it’s a pecking order thing. Six is a nice number for us. They are fun and entertaining. It’s relaxing to be around them with their soft little sounds.
I bought a 16” (?) brooder plate and they only used it for a few weeks before they were too big to all fit under it.But it worked great when they first came home. $$$, though.
Be SURE they have a big enough covered run (at least part). Ours is 32x17, and now we’re making a chicken tractor/ portable run to let them go out in the grass for more to do.
Good luck!

My first birds were a black sexlink and a white brahma. I had to rehome them at one point, but later wound up living on the same farm. Neither were exactly cuddly but they were pretty problem free for first time newbie. My next bunch have all been buff orps. Not the brightest crayons in the box but mine free-range the property and so far have been really good with the kids here ( I got 2 new ones this fall, we will see if that holds...they are all different personalities for sure)).

Just be sure to give them lots of attention and handling as babies if you want them to be fairly friendly as they grow up. I go for the nutty chicken lady 'cuddle them until they go to sleep' school of imprinting but that is easy for me to do because I can only keep 2-3 at a time, so I'm not dealing with nurturing a dozen chicks that way.

The meanest chicken I have met so far was an easter-egger my landlord had. After I moved to the farm, my sexlink and brahma found where I was and started coming by all the time. After awhile they would lead the rest of the flock, Stu the rooster and all, over to our place for treats. There was one EE out of the bunch that we called 'Muppet' because she looked like one. She would peck the other birds, go after their food and was not very nice to people who approached her. And good luck catching her to do anything about it, LOL. Breeds are very general categories and in a dozen birds I bet you will find ones that are far nicer than others.

Good luck with your new coop!
I had never thought of cuddly chickens before I joined BYC. Now I hope to opt for somewhere between trying to raise lap-chickens and having chickens that run away every time they see me. I'm figuring out that, essentially, chickens are a lot like people in terms of varying personalities. I'm pretty sure that orpingtons will be amongst my first order. Thanks for your input! :)

I have 6 hens. I got them all at 2 days old and they’re now 7 months. My buff Orpington is by far the friendliest (from the very first). My Amercaunas are both sweet and a bit shy, but friendly, curious, and get along with the others. The Australorp is friendly and very curious. The blue-laced red Wyandotte has been stand-offish from the beginning. She just seems independent. The silver-laced Wyandotte is the bitch-queen, I guess. She spends a lot of time chasing away and pecking at the Amercaunas when I throw out scratch and treats. I guess it’s a pecking order thing. Six is a nice number for us. They are fun and entertaining. It’s relaxing to be around them with their soft little sounds.
I bought a 16” (?) brooder plate and they only used it for a few weeks before they were too big to all fit under it.But it worked great when they first came home. $$$, though.
Be SURE they have a big enough covered run (at least part). Ours is 32x17, and now we’re making a chicken tractor/ portable run to let them go out in the grass for more to do.
Good luck!
I enjoyed watching the chickens hunt and peck and chase grasshoppers. My coop will have a smallish covered run but they'll mostly be free range. I'm thinking I want to make a mama heating pad brooder that I've seen here. Orpingtons, Americaunas, Australorps and a Wyandotte are on my wish list, which keeps getting longer. I'd better hurry and get in a pre-order before my list gets way out of control. Thanks for your reply. :)

Don't get a rooster unless you want your chickens to multiply... fast. You must have tons of space available for many new chickens and be ready! If you're only looking for layers, I would suggest you do not get a roo.

Don't get a rooster unless you want your chickens to multiply... fast. You must have tons of space available for many new chickens and be ready! If you're only looking for layers, I would suggest you do not get a roo.
In my experience, your chickens will multiply fast regardless of whether you have a rooster or not...

Back
Top Bottom