Which Breeds Would Be Good for a Newbie?

Pics

nolotus

Songster
Nov 13, 2020
West Central Idaho
I’m getting my coop today :celebrate(a neighbor built it and is delivering and setting it up) and I’m anxious to decide on which chickens I should start out with. I’d be so appreciative of any and all opinions on breeds, brooders v. incubating, etc.

I raised chickens years and years ago and one of the many things I’ve learned from BYC is that I didn’t know much about it then and even less now! I used an incubator then. I don’t remember having the hens hatch their own.

I’d like to have 2 or 3 of several different breeds. I was looking at Barred Rocks, Orpingtons – does the color make any difference?, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Australorps. I also want to get a cockerel. Just one I’m assuming? Which breed would be best for that? Is it best to stick with established breeds instead of something like McMurray’s Whiting True Green?

My main reasons for wanting chickens is for the eggs and for the enjoyment of watching them.

We have hot summers here and sort of cold winters – West Central Idaho high desert. I thought that any of the breeds I listed handle heat and cold well.

I expect it’s early to order but it takes me an age to decide anything…But I wondered if ordering early would be a good idea for like maybe February? I plan on getting a heat plate they can snuggle under. Oh no! another decision on which one to get!

As I said, any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. :bow

I really like leghorns and Isa browns if your looking for egg production. My rooster is a Leghorn and he is very gentle. Then again he was hand raised. Other breeds that would work well:
-Rhode Island Red
-Basically and wyandotte
-Easter eggers
- Golden Comet
- Americauna
-Barnevelder
And obviously ISA brown and leghorn.
I also have another chicken who is an Asian Black. She is not a very well known breed, but she lays a decent amount of eggs. Not as many as the leghorn or ISA Brown, but the color is interesting. The Asian Black lays a cream pink egg with little white speckles.

If I could have only one breed, I'd choose my speckled sussex, they're not too common, they're pretty and agile enough if you free-range occasionally. I live in central az, where it doesn't get above 100 or below 20 too often, they do great.
That's not a breed I'm familiar with so I'll check it out. I actually will do mostly free ranging. Thanks! :)

I really like leghorns and Isa browns if your looking for egg production. My rooster is a Leghorn and he is very gentle. Then again he was hand raised. Other breeds that would work well:
-Rhode Island Red
-Basically and wyandotte
-Easter eggers
- Golden Comet
- Americauna
-Barnevelder
And obviously ISA brown and leghorn.
I also have another chicken who is an Asian Black. She is not a very well known breed, but she lays a decent amount of eggs. Not as many as the leghorn or ISA Brown, but the color is interesting. The Asian Black lays a cream pink egg with little white speckles.
There are several there that I haven't heard of before so I'll check them out. Thanks!:)
Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is ISA?

You have gotten a lot of good advice in this thread, but be aware that each bird has it's own individual personality. It's true that Buff Orpingtions are usually nice, but not always.
I did read that the Buffs can sometimes be the "mean girls". Guess chickens are a lot like people. Or, like a box of chocolates...:)

Back
Top Bottom