Which breeds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Austincb, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Austincb

Austincb New Egg

Dec 27, 2012
    We've ordered some chickens from someone local because we don't have space to raise chicks. We ordered 2 barred rock, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 silver wyannote. My husband really wants a rooster and we discussed getting one locally as well. We were just wondering if we should get one breed? I'm not against letting the girls do their thing if they to broody.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know what your goals are with your chickens (eggs, meat, eggs and meat, pets, eye candy, bug control, others ?) but unless you are going to show them, breed really does not matter. Pick any rooster from any breed that meets your goals and you will be fine.

3. hendrixcoop

hendrixcoop Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Central South Carolina
    In my opinion, get a roo that has a good demeanor and let nature takes it's course. With the various hen breeds you are not pursuing meeting "standards", so let nature provide some great cross-breeds with various colors & barring.
    Later when chicken math kicks in, you may want to establish a regulated heritage line, but for now, have fun and enjoy the entertainment of chicken tv & eggs.

4. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Be careful getting a rooster from someone.....Sometimes people have a very aggressive rooster and cant butcher it, so they "give" it away. But all they are giving you is a problem!

5. Austincb

Austincb New Egg

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by