Which broody hen breed to add to existing flock?

We live on 36 acres in north central Arkansas surrounded by woods. Our flock free ranges on the 1+ acre fenced area surrounding our home. In summer, they're allowed to go further afield when predators find the free meal too much of a risk - when considering they first have to get past the fields where our livestock guardian dogs roam. However, year round, predators from the sky are a risk, as with most any free range flock. The flock gets put up each evening in an enclosed run.

We have 16 RIR hens all about 1.5-2 years old. We added more chicks hatched mid August: 3 each brown leghorn pullets/cockerells as well as 8 Easter Egger pullets with 1 Easter Egger cockerell. Everyone is integrating well. One of the brown leghorn cockerells seems to be taking charge of being top guy, although all 4 cockerells are still young, so dominance might still flop flop until they sort that out.

We want a sustainable flock, so we need a hen or two that will keep us in regular chicks, but not be bullied by our current flock members.

I would go with Brahma, as I think their size would make up for their gentleness in our flock. However, we have a lot of rainy mucky winter weather and I'm afraid a brahma would end up with frost bite from wet legs.

Next consideration is Sussex. They're also supposed to be frequently broody and excellent mothers. Not sure about adding more white birds to our free-range flock though.

We frequently have below freezing temps in winter, summers are humid and hot. Our enclosed run is not covered and we cannot cover it because it would collapse under the weight of snow. We cannot afford to build a completely new run of this size, but we have the space and willingness to add a broody area for a hen to raise chicks if needed/recommended until they're old enough to join the rest of the flock, but would appreciate guidance on that as well.

As I have zero experience with broody hens, I'm open to any and all feedback about the best breed to get for broodiness in our climate from experienced sustainable flock owners.

Thanks a bunch in advance! 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised one of your RIRs haven't volunteered yet. You aren't talking about the bird perched on your foot in your avatar, correct? That bird is a production red, not a RIR.
I have a Black Australorp that is my go to broody hen. She is quite a force to be reckoned with. The breed is claimed to be "broody". Cuckoo Marans can also flip to the dark side and are a larger bird.
One of your EEs may also volunteer.
The fact is, there is no guarantee that any pullet or hen will go broody for you. It has a lot to do with hormone levels and the environment in which they live (the way you manage them).

I have a Speckled Sussex, going on 6 yr, and she’s never gone broody.
None of your RIR’s have been broody? I had one that was compulsively broody.
One of my brown leghorns went broody once.
The fact is, there is no guarantee that any pullet or hen will go broody for you.
Yes! What he says. No guarantee.

In AR, you don’t have to worry about it getting too cold. I live a little further north than you, and had 2 feather-footed breeds (Cochin and D’Uccle) and they never had a problem in winters. In fact, I thought that the feathered legs/feet helped keep them warmer.

I'm surprised one of your RIRs haven't volunteered yet. You aren't talking about the bird perched on your foot in your avatar, correct? That bird is a production red, not a RIR.
I have a Black Australorp that is my go to broody hen. She is quite a force to be reckoned with. The breed is claimed to be "broody". Cuckoo Marans can also flip to the dark side and are a larger bird.
One of your EEs may also volunteer.
The fact is, there is no guarantee that any pullet or hen will go broody for you. It has a lot to do with hormone levels and the environment in which they live (the way you manage them).
The "RIR" I was talking about were rescued battery hens. I was told they were RIRs but wouldnt have any trouble doubting that info. All I know is that they are funny, curious, not too terrified of being picked up, and produce plenty of eggs. 🤣

The "RIR" I was talking about were rescued battery hens. I was told they were RIRs but wouldnt have any trouble doubting that info. All I know is that they are funny, curious, not too terrified of being picked up, and produce plenty of eggs. 🤣
yeah, those look more like red sexlinks, which are a crossbreed with RIR. I don't imagine those go broody much at all since they are made specifically for mass egg production

Back
Top Bottom