Which chick belongs to which hen?

mrsmcqn

Hatching
Jan 6, 2019
Hi,
In April 2018 we purchased 6 chicks at our local Rural King. 2 of those survived to adulthood - a Rhode Island Red hen and a Buff Easteregger hen. In May 2018, we purchased 6 more chicks - black sexed linked, Black Austrolorpe, Partridge Silkie, Buff Brahma, White Leghorn and Buff Orpington. Lost track of which of the black ones was Austrolorpe and which Black Sexed Linked. One is the rooster and one is hen. They both look exactly the same black shiny feathers with purple and green hues. His legs are black and her legs are greyish.

The silkie went broody on one egg. So I snuck one egg from each of the other hens under her and she hatched all of them successfully on 1/4-5/19. All 6 chicks are various shades of black with various markings. I lost track of which chick came from which egg. Next time we do this I need poultry crimp bands to keep better track.

So I would like to post photos of the chicks, the hens, and the rooster and see if you can tell me what mix the chicks are.
Midnight.png

This is Midnight the rooster. Either Austrolorpe or Black-Sex Linked?
The Harem.jpg

Left to Right: Buff Brahma (Mystery), rooster in front, Black Astrolorpe or Black-Sex Linked hen (Checkers - she was black and white as a chick), in front EasterEgger (Happy), behind Buff Orpington (Nuggett), and right corner Partridge Silkie (Funkie). Not pictured Ruby the Rhode Island Red but she is prototypical for her breed. The White Leghorn only lays every week or so so we didn't get an egg from her under the broody hen.

Now here are the new chicks:
Munchkin.jpg

I am sure this is Funkie the silkies baby. First hatched and has the extra toes, feathered feet, and is the smallest.
Quest.png
I am 90% certain that this is the Buff Brahma's chick. Both have feathered feet.

Ping.png

I think this is the chick of the black hen. Austrolorpe?? Looks like the black hen when she was little.
Brownie.jpg
I am thinking this is the Rhode Island Red's chick as she has lots of reddish brown around face and her legs are more reddish than the others.

dot.jpg

Not the best photo sorry. The distintive thing with this chick is white spot under both eyes. Not sure, maybe easteregger.
Joy.jpg

This one is mostly black but some brownish peeking thru. The only hen left is the Buff Orpinton??

Please experts, let me know what you think. First, on the 2 black chickens (one rooster/one hen) which is Black-Sexed Linked and which is Black Austrolorpe or did we get a mixup when pulling chicks from the bins at Rural King and both are Austrolorpes?
Next, did I get it right on which chick belongs to which hen? If not, your thoughts please!

Thanks,

Sharon MacEwen
Turquoise Sky Ranch

I would have to wait for feathers on the babies...
As for your adults, neither is a black sex link. Black sex linked hens are black bodied with a gold head and shoulders, and the males are barred.
That said, what are the foot bottom colors on both of those adults? The hen looks pinkish from the pics. If this is the case, then she is indeed an astrolorp. If the rooster is pink, then he's the same. If they're yellowish, then he's a black jersey giant.

Back
Top Bottom