Which chicken breeds should I put in my first flock

sophieethompson

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2016
After much debate, my family and I have decided to get a mixed flock of backyard chickens. We want chickens that are friendly, docile, and are good around kids, while also being a reliable layer.

Here's a list of the chickens we are interested in:

1. Light Brahma
2. Buff Orpington
3. Ameraucana
4. Barred Rock

Would these breeds mix well together?

We are planning on having a small flock of 4, could I have one of each? Or maybe, could I have two Buff Orps, one brahma, and a barred rock or ameraucana?

Are there any other breeds I should take into consideration?

Can I have Brahma's even though I live in a warm climate (California)?

Please help!

- Sophie

Yes you can have one of each, if brooded together they will never realize they are different. (They do not truely see differences regardless, but can be brutal to newcomers). Ideally get day old chicks and everyone will happily coexist.
I love my Barr Rock, I like their personalities, great little self-sufficient hunters. My Easter Eggers (unless you actually buy from a breeder, Ameraucana you buy at the feed store are actually Easter Eggers) are good birds too, they lay beautiful green eggs and while much more vocal then my Barr rocks, have pleasant personalities.
I do not know how each breed will manage your climate. Your best bet is to ask people on your state thread, they should be able to give you the best advice there.

Back
Top Bottom