Which city or town has a fair ordinance that allows chickens?

Ferndale, MI changed the ordinance in January of 2012 to allow coops in backyard lots. Our lots are incredibly small, so we are only allowed 3 hens, no roosters. The ordinance does not mandate size for your coop, only that the coop must be at least 10 feet away from residential structures. There is an inspection process, but even that is more about making your coop rodent-resistant and making sure your food supply is not readily available to pests.

Here is a link to the actual wording: http://ferndalechickens.com/2012-current-ordinance/

Last edited:
My towns ordinance is more than fair. No restrictions on chickens only containment of animals to your own lot and noise. Got to love a town that was started by lumber/timber mills then agriculture.

My only fear is as more and more folks in town get chickens (yes it's happening) they may finally put restrictions on the numbers or roosters.

I would be more concerned with people getting in over their heads and chickens running wild! That was one big concern during the process of changing the ordinance in Ferndale, what happens if people who don't know what they are doing end up with a bunch of chickens? We have to get yearly inspections of our coops and pay a $35 fee each year to keep our coops. It is definitely a minor aggravation in an otherwise lax set of rules.

we are allowed 2 hens (NO ROOSTERS) for the first 5000 sq ft. of land and then one hen per 1000 sq ft. over that amount. No restrictions/requirements on coop size but must be 10 ft from back property line and 15 feet from a side property line.

Back
Top Bottom