Which culls are edible?

JHaller

Songster
14 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Austin TX
I have a quail with a severely crooked neck, as in its head appears to be coming out of its shoulder. I certainly don't want to breed this bird,but should a bird like this be used for food?

Another bird is about half the size of its brood mates. It had crooked toes on one foot, which somehow straightened out on their own. If I keep this bird around for a few more weeks, and it grows a little more, should it be considered edible?

Any other guidelines on which non-breedable birds are safely used for the table?

Killing my own food is a very new and uncomfortable experience for me, so I'm relying on the judgement of others while I get the hang of it.

Thanks,

Judith

I have a quail with a severely crooked neck, as in its head appears to be coming out of its shoulder. I certainly don't want to breed this bird,but should a bird like this be used for food?

Another bird is about half the size of its brood mates. It had crooked toes on one foot, which somehow straightened out on their own. If I keep this bird around for a few more weeks, and it grows a little more, should it be considered edible?

Any other guidelines on which non-breedable birds are safely used for the table?

Killing my own food is a very new and uncomfortable experience for me, so I'm relying on the judgement of others while I get the hang of it.

Thanks,

Judith
Judith, any bird that isn't sick should be just fine for the table, but ya gotta use good judgement.........Pop

Back
Top Bottom