Which do you want first? Good or bad news?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Well, the good news is that my cayuga duck is not MIA, she was lounging next to the pond with her drake today.

The bad news is that this means she has lost yet another clutch of eggs
hit.gif

Poor girl! She has tried to hatch at least twice so far, and something keeps getting her eggs! I guess it is time to lock her up.

Quote:
Are you sure she has lost a clutch and wasn't just taking a little break from brooding the eggs?

No, she was by the pond for hours. If she were taking a break I probably wouldn't have seen her. I haven't seen her for 3 or 4 days, that's why I thought she was MIA. I knew she was setting eggs, but I would still see her for a few minutes every other day at least.

Now you have me wondering about my sitting Cayuga. I guess I will have to take a walk across the lake tomorrow and see if she is still around and alive. I have not seen her in 3 days.

Quote:
If this one had decided to set somewhere in the yard or upper pasture, she would be just fine. But she decided to nest over the hill on the government land, and the dog doesn't pay attention to what goes on that far away. I have a rouen duck that is setting as well, and other than the occassional puppy molesting her, she is perfectly safe.

ETA: I'll have to lock her up, I only have 2 female and 1 male cayuga. They are not exactly easy to find in this area.

Last edited:
I know that, mine was right up against the tree and I almost did not see her. Now that I know where she is I will check on her tomorrow. She is sitting on 13 eggs, cannot wait to see how many babies she hatches. She had 15 but I stole 2 to watch her progress and know when to expect them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom