Which dog breeds co-exist well with chickens?

Well, I have had good luck so far with both the BCs and the JRTS, but that is not always the case. I think you would have the best luck with Great Pyrenese, they were bred to protect livestock and do quite well I've heard. That will probably be my next dog breed. I don't plan on getting one anythime soon though. BTW the border collies belong to my sister, but they have been around my poultry quite a lot. I have a chicken raising friend that has an Airedale (sp?) terrier that she keeps chained up outside the pen, he is never with the birds but he barks and helps to deter predators. I bet he'd kill the chickens if he had a chance, but if you are keeping it on a chain... Whatever you decide, I hope it works our for you! You may be able to go to the pound and just pick out a really laid back dog, maybe explain to the staff your situation and bring a few dogs to visit the chickens and see how they do, and if it doesn't work out they may let you bring it back to the shelter and try a different dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we have 3 beagles, strays, and they ignored the chickens. Except for the poop and eggs
lol.png

Now hubby gave me a puppy and she was a lab. I tried and tried to get her accustomed to the chickens (knowing labs are a bird dog). Did not work, guess it is bred in them to go get birds.
But for the beagles the chickens can walk over them and they just look up with this expression "how embarrassing"

Thanks to all for your replies. I have always thought Great Pyrenese were one of the most majestic looking breeds. I may try for one of those. Unfortunately, there aren't any GP breeders close to Montgomery. I'll have to do some investigating if I go that route. An Austrailian Shepherd is one I haven't thought of. I agree with y'all about the hunting (retriever) breeds. I loved my Labs but they would devour any chicken they could get to. I'm sure there are exceptions, though. I'll update when more develops.

The GP is a great dog. They have one at the barn where I keep my horses. They also have chickens. The GP doesn't bother the chickens or the cats. She is very protective if they are bothered by any outsider. They have overnighter come in all the time and as long as they don't bother any thing she is very friendly. One overnighter's dog got after one of the kittens and even through she had been playing with the dog she let it know right quick that the kittens were to be left alone. I live about 3 1/2 hours from Montgomery in Perry, Ga. I believe they got her from a breeder near Atlanta and she was raised around poultry.

Georgia

well- it's about the individual dog and the training!!!!

Herding dogs CAN be very good chicken dogs--they're actually smart enough to understand what you want--it mostly has to do with training, and wether you're willing to spend the time and effort (and especially for starting with adults-you need the patience as well).

It's easiest to start with a puppy---here's what I would do.

Everytime you go check on your chickens or do chicken chores, tie your puppy to yourself. If they start to chase or go after a chicken- you will have an immediate chance to tug on the rope and say "no" in a deep stern voice. Eventually, you can tie your puppy to the fence or coop where the chickens can come up to the dog when they want to...be sure to praise the puppy for appropriate behavior. Eventually, the dog will understand that the chickens are part of the family and tying him to you or the coop will not be necessary. As always, there are better personalities than others- but continuall reinforcement will better your chances greatly.

Remember- it only takes 5-10min per day to reinforce training--it will help both you and your dog to have a better relationship with eachother and the chickens. Conistency is also key--don't let the dog get confused about what he can and cannot do!

GOOD LUCK
Sandra

GOOD LUCK
Sandra

I have two english bulldogs. last year we moved into the country and wanted a pair of chicks. we kept the two babys in the house for the first few months and would play with them and the dogs together. the dogs knew that these two were now part of the family. as the chickens got bigger they would follow the dogs around and jump on there backs and even eat out of the same food bowl! the dogs dont give them a second look.

I have a Weim and she is WAY NOT GOOD with the girls! ! She will chase and kill any bird she can get too. I also have a hound mix and he is great with them.....I can leave the door to the yard open he just doesn't give a darn. The only things he will chase are rabbits and deer! ! !

I have a yellow lab and a jack russell terrior. When I raised my chickens, I put an underground pet safe electric fence around the pen. After getting zapped a few times, they left the chickens alone. My chickens free range during the day. My dogs will not touch them. They go in the coop with my children to get the eggs.

i have a malteseXshi-tzu she absoulutly loves the chickens and i can trust her around them completely...i even trust her with chicks....when i clean out the brooder i sit her in her bed and i sit the chicks next to her and they stand near her (must feel her body head) ...and she will usually sit there and watch them very carefully....with the older chickens she does chase somtimes but not to bite or anything...she has this thiing where she likes to like the chickens tail feathers...of corse the chickens dont aproav so they run and she of corse follows(just as fast) so she can catch up with the tail and then the chickens think shes chaseing them lol

Sandra has it right, it's all about training, I have a siberian husky and she is fantastic with the chickens now, it took a long time to get her that way though, now I can let her loose with not only my chickens but other chickens too (a BIG step) though she is still not good with ducks.

We had a couple of accidents early on, she killed 2 of my first 3 chickens when they were half grown and then a full batch of 14 chicks, that's when we really started to concentrate on her training, in a similar way to what Sandra described and it worked fantastically well, for about 6 months we didn't leave her alone with the chickens, but as I say, now (about 3 years later) she is really good, still needs the occasional reminder, like if I'm holding a chicken she will want it and try to snap at it when I put it down, but knowing this and being ready to correct her is all part of the training. In another few years she might be perfect
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom