Which dog breeds in general tend to do well around backyard flocks?

My dog is a chiweenie. Got her from the shelter when she was 6 years old. She is a terrible danger to chicks, but likes the adult chickens. And she catches rats, which has been a huuuuge help.

My future DIL's Rottweiler would steer the chickens to love on them. She really thought they were her babies. She'd wrap her big paws around them and guard them from anything that got too close. She'd groom them, too. Cutest thing ever. That dog passed away earlier this year. DIL got a new Rottie who goes NUTS if she sees the chickens. She quite clearly sees them as prey. Both Rotties are from the same breeder. It really is personality.

Lots of folks around here have LGDs who do a great job protecting the chickens. Most are working dogs and not pets, but there are some who are pets but still harbor that protective instinct.

But I've also heard great things about Collies. Worth a look.

I'm keeping that in mind! They're beautiful, too, imo.
Gorgeous.
Screenshot 2021-08-23 10.28.33 PM.png

Natural stack from the beautiful Aurora Delilah (Rory) also sometimes known as "Light of My Life" and the occasional Starfire (and Sparkles).

i’m so sorry for your loss. :hugs

i have a maltese who’s fantastic around my chickens. absolutely zero prey drive and gentle with small creatures. i even trust him alone around day old chicks, and he was super sweet with my kitten. they’re a very long lived breed. mine still keeps up well on hikes at 14 and he loves sitting outside with the birds and cats. i keep mine in a puppy cut and he’s pretty low maintenance in terms of grooming. i’d say their only flaws are their vulnerability due to their smaller size, that they can be a little picky about food, and that they’re prone to separation anxiety due to being a companion breed. i would definitely recommended crate training if you get one.

edit: just came back and read some of your additions. maltese are small dogs (7-10lbs) and you almost definitely won’t find one in a shelter. they do meet all your other criteria though, mine is very intelligent and in tune with me and often catches on to what i want from him with no training. he always knows whats going on. he even understands "excuse me" and “can i sit there” and moves out of my way even though i never taught him either lol. they have a reputation for being easy to train.

Last edited:
I would stay away from a husky. Personally, I have no issues with my terrier mix, but that may just be an individual thing.

My sister's border collie does okay, but he is not bred for herding (it seems to have been bred out of him).
I have 11 dogs and the only one we can't break from our chickens is our husky. My pit, pug mixes, terrier mixes, and lab pretty much ignores the birds.

We rescue dogs. Out of the 11 we only bought the pit. We traded 5 chicks for the husky but she's hard to break and has killed one of our hens and attacked a rooster. I was able to rescue the rooster and he recovered nicely.
Ah I see. Thats amazing! I have a hard time accepting 3 dogs in the family! Road trips are even hard now.

Luckily, our Husky mix has never gotten any birds (yet). Fingers-crossed she never does.

Ah I see. Thats amazing! I have a hard time accepting 3 dogs in the family! Road trips are even hard now.

Luckily, our Husky mix has never gotten any birds (yet). Fingers-crossed she never does.
We fenced one and a half acres of our backyard for our dogs and chickens and ducks. I receive so much love and enjoyment from them. I love to sit under our big live oak and watch everyone play.

Back
Top Bottom