Which drake mix for these runners and pekins?

JoJoM

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I recently had 7 ducklings hatch - 3 from Blue Runner eggs, 4 from Pekin. The drake possibilities are Rouen, Khaki Campbell, Pekin and Cayuga. I’m going to assume the yellows are all pekin, but the others I’m not sure about. The silver/grey one came from a runner as did one black and yellow and one all yellow. The last two pics are the same little one, it's a silvery colour but it's head looks darker in different lights.

Anyone have any guesses to what mixes I have?

EADA1909-3FDF-4A56-882E-DE00A70B8BDC.jpeg C394BCE3-2A01-4453-A623-528D15166EA1.jpeg B853BDE6-ED6B-4664-8C94-F477DBB1028E.jpeg 41F50C0C-DD54-4544-A81B-C71CFA3E6A86.jpeg 9ACA6DA5-151F-4AAC-91D5-9ABE4BDFE43B.jpeg

Last edited:
I cant beleive you dont have anyone guessing!! I know runners and cayugas but the other breeds I am not too familiar with. The second pic looks like cayuga babe. Are the last 2 pics from your runner? If so, I would guess the 4th pic has a cayuga dad and the last looks like a pure blue runner, so maybe a pekin dad...

I cant beleive you dont have anyone guessing!! I know runners and cayugas but the other breeds I am not too familiar with. The second pic looks like cayuga babe. Are the last 2 pics from your runner? If so, I would guess the 4th pic has a cayuga dad and the last looks like a pure blue runner, so maybe a pekin dad...
Thanks for the guesses. The last one is from a runner, she’s tiny and so pretty. It’ll be interesting to see how they turn out.

um WOW 🚨🚨🚨🚨beautiful duck alert!!! CONGRATS ON THE HATCH!!!!!!!

I'm so bad with color genetics but I'll hazard some guesses, maybe this one is blue x cayuga? is there a possibility for silver/diluted blue in that cross?

I cannot get over how cute they all turned out!!!! I WANT THEM ALL

um WOW 🚨🚨🚨🚨beautiful duck alert!!! CONGRATS ON THE HATCH!!!!!!!

I'm so bad with color genetics but I'll hazard some guesses, maybe this one is blue x cayuga? is there a possibility for silver/diluted blue in that cross?

I cannot get over how cute they all turned out!!!! I WANT THEM ALL
I have no clue other than this one is beautiful and pretty tiny compared to the others. My son has named him/her Stanley lol.

As adorable as they all are, what a stinkin' mess ducklings are! I had read that but really had no idea what I was in for. I have the water dishes on a cake pan/cooling rack but they just soak the pine shavings I have on the bottom of the brooder. It gets changed fairly frequently - I wonder if straw may have been a better choice.

I have no clue other than this one is beautiful and pretty tiny compared to the others. My son has named him/her Stanley lol.

As adorable as they all are, what a stinkin' mess ducklings are! I had read that but really had no idea what I was in for. I have the water dishes on a cake pan/cooling rack but they just soak the pine shavings I have on the bottom of the brooder. It gets changed fairly frequently - I wonder if straw may have been a better choice.
it'll be like that no matter what you do hahahaha BUT its all about the watering container, if you watch the way they drink, it naturally involves splashing ESPECIALLY if you have one of the gravity waterers, if you want to cut down on mess, try a plastic container with holes cut in the lid, make sure the holes are big enough for them to get their head in/out fairly easily and if the edges are sharp, hit it with some sand paper! It completely solved my wet brooder issue PLUS the ducklings can duck their heads without swimming to clean their nostrils ou! win/win!

I recently had 7 ducklings hatch - 3 from Blue Runner eggs, 4 from Pekin. The drake possibilities are Rouen, Khaki Campbell, Pekin and Cayuga. I’m going to assume the yellows are all pekin, but the others I’m not sure about. The silver/grey one came from a runner as did one black and yellow and one all yellow. The last two pics are the same little one, it's a silvery colour but it's head looks darker in different lights.

View attachment 2604177View attachment 2604178View attachment 2604179View attachment 2604180View attachment 2604182

View attachment 2604177View attachment 2604178View attachment 2604179View attachment 2604180View attachment 2604182
Picture number 3 looks like a Rouen duckling to me but there is another breed that mimics it so I could be wrong. They sure are all darling!!!!

Back
Top Bottom