Which Duck breed for me? 🦆🦆

search this site. I can't remember where I found the article on "Raising friendly ducks". I do know that I have it saved in Pinterest as an article on a homesteaders' blog.

Edited to ADD -

Salt in my Coffee - Ducks
The Riders Pets - Duck Care

I thought I had more on raising friendly ducks - but all of the posts seemed to go back to the one from "Salt in my Coffee"...

I'm getting ready to set up a shallow "pond" by utilizing tires we've got and putting a tarp over/between them. Probably shaped around some of our front yard trees. Yes, the tarp will leak, not a big deal as that will fertilize/water our trees. When we are ready to move it to a new spot, we'll walk the tarp up over the tires (just one layer?) and funnel the "lovely mess" into our trees. We haven't done it yet, but I don't see why it won't work and the 4 ducks will be happy. May split them into two groups w/ a smaller areas - don't know yet.

We currently have 2 breeds of ducks - neither of which I saw you mention. Both breeds are meant as dual purpose and supposedly neither are "great" flyers. The mature Swedish ducks (BBS) - have never chosen to fly - not even to hop over a puppyXpen fence that is approx 2'6" tall. Now they are in a much larger area with a pond that they love(!!) contained in 4' poultry netting that we seem to have an issue with keeping hot. The next step is outlined above.

The 5 Ancona & 2 mixed breed are still ducklings. They are outside and at the moment they just have a large rubber feed tub as their waterer. The smaller ones already bathe in it, the larger ones just cross through it. They get fresh water two times daily right now - sometimes more when we are out there.

They will be moving into an area around our fruit trees which are planted around our 60' round pen (where we train ponies to ride/drive). The inner fence (fence delineating the round pen) is made of cattle panel that is 50" tall. We will be attaching both 2x4" wire and 1/2" HC to it. The outer fence is being made of 2x4" wire that is 48" tall. It will have 2' of 1/2" HC on the bottom. They will have a kiddie pool that can be emptied directly into the trees AND they will have the ditch between the trees and the round pen, which will fil with water sometimes while watering certain trees and also during the rains like we've just had. We will also maintain a deep enough tub for them to be able to "wash their heads" (clean their bills). We will see how they do as to flying/not flying... I can install aviary netting over the "penned" area...

As to friendliness, I haven't really worked with them. I work 12 hour days and worked all thru this fun time. They see me to get feed and water, that's about it. My grandkids are more interested in electronics than ducks/chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom