Which duck breed(s) should I get....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by awesomefowl, Jan 14, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

With my gift certificate to Metzer Farms!

I really want 2 Pekins because I like their looks. [​IMG] But how well do they lay? I'd like some eggs out of them so they are producing something at least!
    Cayuga? Welsh Harlequin? Mallard? They are all so pretty!!!! I also don't want more than 6 ducklings. No runners either because I'd rather order runners from Holderreads because theirs are so much better quality. (If anyone wants to split an order of runners from them PM me!!!)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    My pekin hen who is almost 2 lays an egg everyday. I have also been getting one everyother day from my blind pekin so they are pretty decent layers in my opinion.

I also really like the khaki campbells from Metzer. Its where I got my current flock of them 2 years ago. They are excellent layers and seem to never take a break. Mine are all still laying with no extra light or anything. I also really like muscovys myself. They are so quiet and friendly and have lots of weird little quirks that make them a blast to watch but I dont think they are available from Metzer.

Good luck choosing!

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I am playing the wait game on eggs... (they should start anytime).... But I am liking the ducks I have... WH, Jumbo Pekin, Mallards and Rouen. The jumbo's really do have problems with their legs- or hightened problems and they waddle- I am unsure that I would buy them again but love mine for what they are just really don't like playing duck doctor. Otherwise I have loved seeing the mallards fly! I like that I have different colors in my flock. As for eggs I am hoping that they start soon so I can have an opinion.

I think that you have to look at what you are hoping out of the ducks to really decide on which breed you want. I wanted eggs and meat and most importantly tick eaters and I wanted them to be pretty. I know I have the pretty part am having my doubts about the meat part and waiting to see about eggs and ticks.

4. awesomefowl

Well, I'd like some eggs, fly eradication, entertainment, fun and possibly meat babies. I don't like the color of Khaki Campbell, so maybe I should go with WH...I also dont' want too big ducks that will be super expensive to feed!

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Seemed to me that when they were growing they were eating double what the chickens were eating but now they have evened out on feed. I would not get the jumbo Pekins as I have had to play doctor too many times. But maybe it is because it is my first year with them. The duck that spent 2 weeks in the house with us is still limping but is doing well otherwise.

All 4 of the breeds that I have are entertainment. If I have to be honest the mallards who fly out to their water or fly back are my favorites. I am loving the colors on my WH.

6. awesomefowl

Yeah, I will HAVE to get some WH!

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I want Muscovies (which I brought a pair last fall) but I am also leaning towards some saxonys..they are beautiful and lay 220-260 eggs @yr...problem is. I was told that they will be on the pond and they will cross mate and I don't want mixed ducks...

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    if you want eggs, you want runners, welsh harlequins or khakis.

If you want your ducks to potentially brood their own young, then you want welsh harlequins.

9. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    I have 1 pekin drake and four ducks. I am getting 4 eggs a day even in Jan. Plus they are loud and funny! They also get along great with the rest of the flock. The Guinea like to "Hang out" with them and it make for some entertaining moments.

10. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    You can never go wrong with ducks [​IMG] Muskovys are quiet and good moms. Ice cream-fish is a pekin runner cross and she is laying an egg a day. Fifi-Quack is a Rouen -she is laying an egg every other day. They are pretty and look llike mallards. The only problem I have is that my Muskovy's fly .. cannot let them forage - they would take off across the lake and fly to Florida,, ( Flier took off last September and we only get the occasional postcard [​IMG] ... she must have heard about Michigan Winters ) Good luck in your choice..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by