Which Ducks are the Best Layers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by earlyredrooster, Sep 14, 2014.

1. earlyredrooster

earlyredrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    HELP I have a demand for fifteen dozen duck eggs per week. Which Ducks fit the bill?

2. AmandaVirus

AmandaVirus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Khaki Campbells, Welsh Harlequin, or one of the hybrids like the Golden 300 Hybrid Layer or White Layer developed by Metzer Farms are all great layers.

That would be a lot of ducks to produce 15 dozen eggs a week! Good luck.

3. earlyredrooster

earlyredrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    Do all these breed true? I only want to buy one time and hatch my own after that.

4. McChickenNugget

McChickenNugget Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I would go with the khaki Campbells. We have two so far and they each lay a nice large egg every day like clockwork. I think they were about five months old when they started laying and for the last three months they haven't missed a day. We're thinking of getting a male and hatching out some babies in the spring

5. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Campbells; white or khaki - they'll lay you a big fat egg every single day until winter. At that point they'll start to miss the odd day - that said my white Campbell started laying in January and has only missed a couple of days in may/june when my other ducks started to go broody.

6. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Campbells and Welsh Harlequins breed true. WH were originally called honey campbells. Golden 300 and white hybrid layers do not breed true. I have Cambells and WH. WH are bigger. The female WH are as big as my Campbell drakes. Both are nice tempered ducks. That lay white eggs.

7. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I agree with Amanda, except that I would add Pekins other than the jumbos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by