Which ducks lay the best eggs?

I would have to guess the female duck is the one that lays the best egg.
gig.gif

Marlin? did you figure that one out on your own or did you have to look that up?

On the eggs Sully,
Indian Runners are one of the best laying ducks but the eggs are on the small size.
Muscovies lay a very large egg but not as many as the runners. I don't know about the other breeds but I'm sure others will chime in.

Pet wise our runners are pretty flighty, the Muscovies much calmer.

Steve in NC

Quote:
In our area Khaki Campbells have the best reputation for egg laying. Calm and sweet these ducks lay 250 - 300 eggs per year which are much sought after by cooks and bakeries.

I've ancona's they've already started for the year and it not above freezing yet
th.gif
they will keep it up untill the weather get real hot, probly mind July, they lay a ex-lg to jumbo egg

There pretty to think of a pinto pony an a duck

Last edited:
Welsh Harlequin are pretty, good foragers and relatively quiet. They lay an x-lg to jumbo egg and are almost as productive as Khaki's.

I've 5 WH females from Holderread's that have layed 150 eggs in Jan and 137 in Feb.More than we can eat.

Indian Runners are one of the best laying ducks but the eggs are on the small size.

HUH???? Mine lays eggs the size of an extra large chicken egg.

My khaki (RIP Janet) laid eggs the same size. My buff duck's eggs are just a tiny bit smaller. Most days I really can't tell who laid what.

Personality-wise, my buff has the most personality, but my khaki hen was the most alert and best yard protector (she chased squirrels out of HER yard
big_smile.png
). My khaki drake is pretty entertaining too. The runner is finally warming up to me, but she is afraid of her own shadow in general.

The buff is quite a character. She "supervises" me when I fill up the pond, fill their feed dish or clean the pen, and is the first one to come running when I bring salad greens or snacks outside
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I raise Blue swedish and Rouens and they are LAYING MACHINES. Plus their eggs are BIG. I have not had any go broody on me yet. These ducks are also alot quieter than the pekins and buffs I had last year.

Edited to say: My ducks are also used as dual purpose ducks and they are good for meat and eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
HUH???? Mine lays eggs the size of an extra large chicken egg.

My khaki (RIP Janet) laid eggs the same size. My buff duck's eggs are just a tiny bit smaller. Most days I really can't tell who laid what.

Personality-wise, my buff has the most personality, but my khaki hen was the most alert and best yard protector (she chased squirrels out of HER yard
big_smile.png
). My khaki drake is pretty entertaining too. The runner is finally warming up to me, but she is afraid of her own shadow in general.

The buff is quite a character. She "supervises" me when I fill up the pond, fill their feed dish or clean the pen, and is the first one to come running when I bring salad greens or snacks outside
big_smile.png

Compared to a Muscovy egg runner duck eggs are on the small side

i have a Cayuga that lays nearly everyday, she actually out lays my black indian runner. the Cayuga is an easy keeper and pretty friendly, doesn't like to be held but follows us around the yard.

Back
Top Bottom