Which egg/which breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yoie, Jul 12, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

The picture doesn't do the eggs justice but I have two eggs layed today and trying to place them with the hen that layed them! One egg is very light brown, it is darker than the Norwegian Jaerhon egg. Then I have a darker brown egg, nice even brown coloring all over, one of my darker eggs layed yet! Now for the hens that might have layed them:
    Salmon Faverolles (think she might have layed the light brown? is that what a tinted egg is?)
    Black Australorp
    Barred Rock
    Golden Comet
    and Possibly one EE hen (not really acting like she is ready to lay though)
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    My barred rock lays very light eggs.
    My two golden comets lay medium dark and Very dark.
    Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. yoie

Thanks for the reply, I am having a hard time telling since they all are going in the nestboxes and acting like they are the next to lay! I am new to chickens and the books/magazines just say white, tinted, brown, etc. No real picture or description!

4. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Welcome! [​IMG]

5. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    That's funny...my barred rock lays dark brown eggs and my golden comet lays very light brown JUMBO eggs that don't fit in a carton...exact opposite.

6. yoie

I guess I'll have to set up the lawn chair and do some chicken watching [​IMG]

7. cajunchic

cajunchic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    My BR also lays very light brown eggs. [​IMG]

8. yoie

Well I have an answer to one of the eggs, yes I set up the lawn chair and waited this morning [​IMG] The light brown egg is from my barred rock!! Now who layed the darker brown egg wait, I am thinking it was my Black Australorp, but I guess only time will tell [​IMG]

9. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    I have almost all of mine figured out. The two EEs both lay blue but they are shaped different. Nickle's is longer and Penny's is smaller and rounder. Then my Cochin bantem lays a smaller light brown egg. My BSL lays the biggest egg (light brown) but the ones I can't figure out are my SLW and Buff. They both lays approximately the same color brown and similar shaped eggs.

I guess I need to set up a lawn chair too!

good luck!

10. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I luckily have all mine figured out except the SLW and GLW. I know which eggs are theirs because they are almost identical and kinda long shaped. I just don't know which egg for with wyondotte... The others I just figured out over time. My favs are my blue/green easter eggers eggs and my Dominique's which are brown with dark speckles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by