"which eggs can we eat?"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Christie Rhae, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    My husband called me at work the other day when he was on daddy duty and wanted to cook up some eggs for the kids. I cracked up because this was a VERY good question. Let me just set the scene....

I have 16 hens, no roosters. A few months ago I decided to let my girls free range on my property. A few of them have decided to lay eggs in other places besides the nest boxes. So we are always on the search for a hidden batch of eggs. One hen even decided to set on a big batch of unfertilized eggs.

I had another hen go broody so I bought some local fertile eggs to put under her just for the fun of it.

I ordered some awesome, precious Ameraucana eggs that I now have in the incubator.

So the particular morning when my husband called me there were cartons of egg everywhere. Eggs that had been shipped and were resting before going in incubator, eggs I had found out in the woods that I was going to boil up and give back to chickens cuz I am not sure how old they are, eggs that were going under our broody hen and of course... fresh eggs ready to be eaten.

I cracked up... I can just picture my poor husband looking around the kitchen and thought..."which eggs can we eat??" Thank god he asked! I would have had a heart attack if he had eaten my ameruacana eggs!

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    That's awesome! When I was selling hatching eggs this past spring and I had 12+ dozen sitting on the counter on a given day. This was funny explaining to our company why we had so many eggs! Good luck on your hatch!

Nate

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    At least he knows how to ask [​IMG] Everyone at work would have been looking at me fun cause I would have busted up laughing [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I had a delightful lady agree to send me some rather rare hatching eggs a couple of years ago. She had them in a carton on her kitchen counter while she was collecting enough to ship.

Her husband ate them all, not knowing what they were for. I had to laugh! And yes, I did get some eggs a bit later! Carefully packed in a carton with my name and SAVE - DO NOT EAT all over it! [​IMG]

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I can see my husband spinning around wondering "uh...which ones did she say I could eat?" [​IMG]

7. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    not a problem at our house I dont think my "C" knows where the kitchen is.[​IMG]

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Better than my ex.

He signed us up for a potluck. So I boiled 6 dozen eggs to make deviled eggs with. When I went to take them out of the fridge just before the potluck to peel them and stuff them, they were all gone.

The ex said that they looked weird so he threw them away.

It apparently never occurred to him that if there was a bowl with 6 dozen eggs in it, and he hadn't put them in the fridge himself that I must have put them in the fridge. Nor did it occur to him that if I'd put them in the fridge after he left for work, that maybe I might want them for something?

9. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by