Which feed to buy???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dizzle's chicks, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Hi All,

I am running low with my current feed which is Payback Developer and need to know what feed I should buy next. I currently have 8 chickens aged from 5 chickens that are 25 weeks and 3 chickens that are 12 weeks. They are eating developer mixed with Purina #2 Scratch. They free range during the day. Thanks in advice!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There is a feed called 'flock raiser' or similar that contains about 18-20% protein depending upon the brand. If you were to use that, you would have the feed that your youngest group needs without the calcium that could be detrimental. You will need to have extra calcium available to your older ones.....oyster shell free choice is an easy way to accomplish that. If your older ones are laying you can feed back to them the shells of the eggs that they have laid for you. Flock raiser omits the added calcium that is incorporated in layer rations.

Hope this helps you.

3. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    We buy stock food from our local Agway. 50 pound bag for $14.00. Layer crumbles work out well. They seem to like it and we are still getting one egg a day from our girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by