Which feed to use?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dominik, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Dominik

Dominik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    The only feed we can get locally is the La Coop layers feed. Today I was out of town and drove by a Purina feed store and got some Purina feed. Is the Purina feed worth the 1.5h drive or is the La Coop feed just as good?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left: LA COOP Right: Purina (very dusty)

[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Only significant difference I see is the fat content....not sure that's an issue. except maybe watch any that treats given are not high in fat.

3. annaBsChick

annaBsChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2014
    Herndon, VA
    You should check out PoultryDVM.com ... they have a tool which lists all the types of chicken feed and lets you sort by different properties. http://www.poultrydvm.com/feeds.php

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There shouldn't be much difference nutritionally. If ingredients matter to you, I'd get a list from each manufacturer.
    IMO, 1.5 hours is a long way to go for feed.
    The difference in the particle size is most likely either a difference in the crumbler equipment at each mill or the type of binding agent used to make the pellets.

Another important factor is age. Each bag of feed will have the manufacture date. If there's a significant difference, shoot for the freshest feed.
    Some feed stores will keep feed till it sells. Some will do what it takes to move it before it gets old. A lot depends on how much they buy at a time and how many customers they have for that specific feed. The more they buy, the better their price.
    Once ground, grains lose their nutrients over time. The vitamins, if stabilized, should last a while. Minerals won't be affected by age.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by