Which Haflinger would you choose?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greeneggsandham, Nov 15, 2011.

1. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    My husband has been looking for a pony/horse for riding and driving. At first he wanted one just for driving and was looking at 11 to 12 hand ponies. I told him that something a bit bigger and maybe drafty would be better.

He found this first Haflinger that is breed to a Gypsy cob stallion and he really likes her. She is 10 broke to ride, registered.
    [​IMG]

I spoke yesterday with the owner of the above mare and she sent me this mare's info also. She is 8 broke to ride, registered, and infoal to the same stallion.
    [​IMG]

My husband is really excited that they are in foal to the Gypsy and come with a live foal gurantee as he has wanted a Gypsy cob, but the price for one is just a bit to much to swallow for a trail horse. I think the second mare would be a better choice as she is a bit more robust than the first and my husband is 5'11" so her barrel would take up much more leg than the first one.

So what do you all think?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Buy them both and drive a matched pair.

You have not sent photos that can be evaluated for conformation. I like the legs on the older mare and that's about all I can see

I recommend that your husband go and ride them both and spend some time with them and buy the one that suits his personality and skill level the best. There can be a lot of difference in temperament and personality even in horse of the same breed and exact same pedigree.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:2x [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. greeneggsandham

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    I can't buy both or I would end up with 6 horses since I have 2 riding horses already though one is retired and the mares are in foal. I have asked for better pictures. As for going to see them they are in OH and we are in CT at least a 13 hour ride one way hubby will not go for that. The horse would be shipped to us if we did decide on one of them.

I do agree it would be nice for him to ride and hang out with them. Makes matching them up a good thing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:2x [​IMG] [​IMG]

x3

You never want to buy a horse just going off of a picture. also you dont know when those photos were taken, mare #1 could have had a few foals and stocked up since then and Mare #2 is probably still carrying baby fat in the photo. Do what Blues said and evaluate the mares in person. ask to take your own pictures (both side, front and back and make sure you get legs in the photos), go home and compair the 2 mares in your own pictures! Look for faults in bone, hoof and muscle structure. a well built horse can hold alot and 5'11" (tallest jockey ever was 5'11") isnt a bad size for a Haflinger. you gotta remember that their a draft pony breed, size of the pony and strength of the draft!

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    If you can't go see them for yourself, I'd at least hire a vet to go health check them and a trainer to ride them both. And THEN decide which one you want. A lot of people in the horse business (well, really ANY business where stuff is sold) might tell you what they think you want to hear.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, definitely a vet check and riding videos. And pictures, pictures, pictures!

Personally, I like to choose a horse based on how he/she rides rather than pictures, but if you can't do that, videos are the next best way to go. I don't always suggest vet checks for every horse BUT in this situation, since you can't go see the horse yourself, I would definitely definitely recommend it.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Beautiful horses, both!!! [​IMG] I'd say it depends on if you want primarily for riding or driving...the first horse seems more lightweight, long-legged and lithe for riding but the second horse seems a more stocky and muscular build for pulling/driving.

I agree with the others about spending time with each horse and going by fit and first hand experience than an impulsive choice on looks alone.

9. greeneggsandham

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Thanks all. I think I am going to have to break the news to him that those two mares are out of the question unless he wants to go for a ride. It wouldn't be bad if our trailer was good, but it needs a new floor and I wasn't expecting to get another horse anytime soon so had that on hold until the spring time. I have to tell him to look locally. [​IMG]

Vet check is a given even if the horse was just down the road from me he/she would be vet checked.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  10. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    GO SEE THEM !!!
    or have someone else go for you

are you on any driving list?? CDL Ect.
    maybe someone from there can go look before you drive there

They all act different

you need to know what one gets along with you the best

deb