Which hatchery did you like best?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by debilorrah, Jan 6, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am going to order ducklings today, and I was wondering which hatcheries you guys had good service with. Best price? Best selection?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm partial to Ideal, have had very good luck with them. And for prices, I think they are most fair! Check them out. [​IMG]

3. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I'm ordering from metzer in the spring. I havent ordered from a hatchery before but Ive heard nothing but good things about them.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Depends on what you want--convenience, production quality, show quality, cheap price, ability to order in small quantities, etc.

For quality nobody beats www.holderreadfarm.org, run by Dave Holderread, author of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. Best birds I've ever seen or owned. But minimum order is 10, they come unsexed (so you'll probably have to rehome some males), and you have to order by mail.

If you want convenience & good quality birds (but not show quality), Metzer, McMurray, and Ideal are all pretty good choices.

Enjoy! Ducklings are awesome. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

Well, I ran with the first answer and ordered from Ideal. 4 black runners and 3 pekins. I have 3 fawn & whit erunners in my brooder now. So that should do it. I think. Maybe not.

6. debilorrah

Quote:That link didn't work and I wanna look! [​IMG]

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sorry! It's www.holderreadfarm.com. I thought it was a .org, but oops. You can also do a google for "Holderread Waterfowl" and it will show up. Good luck with your babies--how exciting!

8. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Metzer Farms!

Most hatcheries get their day-olds from Metzer Farms, raise the price, and ship them to you.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    For quality, Holderread's. For ease of ordering and being able to order sexed ducklings in small qty, Metzer.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Metzer Farms is in California, Debi. Just sayin'.

(I wanna visit there someday... I used to drive past Gonzales regularly.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by