1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which hen did this egg come from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Celizwalsh, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Celizwalsh

Celizwalsh Chillin' With My Peeps

I have gotten acouple speckled eggs and I can't figure out which hen is laying them. At first I thought it was just a fluke and could be extra calcium deposits or something but its been happening pretty regularly now. I know it isn't the ameracauna hens because they lay blue eggs but beyond that I'm stumped. The other possible culprits are 2 buff orpingtons, 2 rhode island reds, 2 wyandottes (one silver, one gold) and one speckled sussex. Are any of those breeds known to lay speckled eggs?

here is what they look like
    [​IMG]

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I have 2 barred rocks, 2 black sexlinks, a black australorp, and a mixed breed hen of unknown parentage. I get speckled eggs all the time. Don't know who's laying them. And all my girls are fed a good diet and are healthy, though, so I hadn't really given it a second thought.

3. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by