Which "hen" is fertilizing my eggs?

bantyshanty

Oval Office Courier
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
S.W Pennsylvania
I have a couple silkie hens who have been laying fertilized eggs the past few days. I have been home 20 out of 24 hours each day, including mornings. There is DEFINITELY no one crowing. Not even a little.
We are keeping a no-roo policy for our neighbors' sakes, and because we have 2 dozen hens in the 'burbs.
All but two young cochins are laying regularly. I do have a cochin pullet, 6 1/2 months, who looks identical to her sister pullet except for the very glossy, shiny , pointy hackle feathers on her neck. She is a bit more dominant, she used to challenge me when I'd clean the coop, and she is very hen-shaped. No comb or wattle development.

From my experience, cochin males are very loud & very male by 3-4 months. Could Nutmeg be a hermaphrodite?

Can a hermaphroditic young'un fertilize eggs?

I will post pics tomorrow of her in the sunlight. No crowing. Not even when we egg her on by doing crowing imitations
wink.png
This shows a little blurry but the shape & sheen of hacle feathers maybe? they're growng longer & very shiny of late
42508_nutmeg_the_cochin_pullet_or_roo_1.jpg

This is her saddle feathers, which are a little pointier lately.
42508_nutmegs_saddle_feathers_roo_or_pullet.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:
sorry but if you do not have a roo the eggs are fertilized. All eggs have the white spot on them, some more prominent than others. A fertilized egg has a bullseye in the middle of the white spot. If you are seeing this than you have a roo somewhere in the mix.

Ema

i have a 6mth old dorking that i know is a roo & ive never heard a crow or anything out of him yet so your one may be like mine & keeping quiet

Quote:
For Pete's sake don't teach a silent roo to crow! Keep him and enjoy him! Do you know how much some of us would pay for silent roos? Good grief...you've struck gold.

So...why do you think the eggs are fertile? Are you seeing a bullseye?

Quote:
For Pete's sake don't teach a silent roo to crow! Keep him and enjoy him! Do you know how much some of us would pay for silent roos? Good grief...you've struck gold.

yuckyuck.gif

I want a quiet roo too, but I doubt I will get that lucky :-(

Quote:

yuckyuck.gif

I want a quiet roo too, but I doubt I will get that lucky :-(

OMG find out what's wrong with that bird and bottle it!

I'll take a dozen bottles please

Last edited:
ChooksChick: Yes, there are bullseyes.

She's always been more assertive, but I've never seen her engage in "flirtations (yuck-yuck) behavior. She's stealthy about it. And I keep saying "She" because her comb/wattles are tiny and she's properly hen-round.
Weird!
roll.png

I'm sure the crow will come in time..... ?.....

Our silky roo never crowed till he was over a year old, and even then he didn't crow until he really wanted something.
hu.gif
We kept him because he didn't crow, had no idea they were supposed to be loud!
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom