Which Incubator to Get?

Oh, okay. So about any brand would work? Is there a local store you would recommend that I could buy one at to avoid shipping charges? Or would it probably be easier to find a good one on ebay? And cheaper, too, maybe, even with shipping charges?

No, the issues you have to overcome with putting an egg in daily are the different humidity requirements, turning, and the chicks that hatch will crawl all over the others and get them filthy dirty which can lead to bacteria getting inside and turning the egg into a rotten egg.

You can easily store eggs for a week without reducing hatchability as long as you don’t keep them in extreme conditions. What you might want to do is set a week’s worth of eggs at a time and buy a separate incubator to use as a hatcher. When you go into lockdown take the eggs out of the incubating incubator and put them in the other that is only used during lockdown and hatch. That’s by far the least stressful way to do it and gives you the greatest chance at success.
Good advice.
Staggered hatches aren't a problem, just keep about 5 days or more between settings.
Whey you up the humidity for those about to hatch, a couple days of that won't hurt the others.

There are more than two types of incubators. I’m not talking about types, I’m talking about how you use them. They can be used for incubation only. They be used as a hatcher only. They can be used for both incubating and hatching. You are wanting to use them for staggered hatching. That’s when it gets more complicated and why I suggested two separate incubators.

Some incubators hold three eggs. Some commercial incubators hold 120,000 eggs. There are a lot in between. How many eggs you might hatch at one time is a consideration.

Some are easier to operate than others. Different incubators handle humidity control differently. Some are a lot easier to adjust the temperature settings than others. Some require a lot of work to keep them on target, some are almost a set it and forget it. Generally the ones that are easiest to use cost more.

How many times are you going to use it in a year? If you’re like me and only hatch once or twice a year, you may not need a really good one. If it is hatching constantly you should get a better one.

I can’t tell you which is best for your unique situation. There are way too many variables to know what is best for you. What I suggest you do is look at how many eggs you might hatch at a time and how often you are going to use it. Then look at the ones in that size range and make a decision.

Good luck.

X2
I like a separate hatcher. I don't like hatching in a Styrofoam incubator because they're much harder to disinfect afterward.
Just go on ebay.com and type in automatic egg incubator
smile.png

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

X2
Oh, okay. So about any brand would work? Is there a local store you would recommend that I could buy one at to avoid shipping charges? Or would it probably be easier to find a good one on ebay? And cheaper, too, maybe, even with shipping charges?

Any brand will work. As RR said, the more expensive, the more automatic and successful.
TSC, Orscheln's and Farm and Home type stores carry cheap ones that people are successful with.

You'll need two incubators to do what you are wanting to do... you can put in a hatch each week from your hen and then move the eggs to the other incubator which you will use as your hatcher.

basicly you need to up humiditiy the last three days before the chicks hatch and the eggs must stop being turned. you can't hatch eggs that have been staggered all in the same incubator. you'll need two. Look on your local used buy sale sites for used incubators. You might be able to find some for cheaper than you can buy new.

my only recommendation for you on incubators is DO NOT get a still air. I've heard of ppl having lots of problems. hovabator are a good brand.

You'll need two incubators to do what you are wanting to do... you can put in a hatch each week from your hen and then move the eggs to the other incubator which you will use as your hatcher.

basicly you need to up humiditiy the last three days before the chicks hatch and the eggs must stop being turned. you can't hatch eggs that have been staggered all in the same incubator. you'll need two. Look on your local used buy sale sites for used incubators. You might be able to find some for cheaper than you can buy new.

my only recommendation for you on incubators is DO NOT get a still air. I've heard of ppl having lots of problems. hovabator are a good brand.

I have a still air. I don't have any issues at all. The issue is that people put it at 99.5 which is for the hoverbator with the fan. Not for the still air bator. Once people realize that it has to be set at 101 then there are no issues with the still incubator. In fact I have about 15 eggs that are due to hatch out in mine the 2nd and 3rd. So far I have had many babies hatch out in it.

Back
Top Bottom