Which incubator to use in the uk?

Ok great! That really shows when the hatches were.

I have been playing around with it all day and still struggling to find a way to get most of it in a good temperature range. I will try put below what i have tried:

I put 4 little thermostats in the incubator in the top left, upper middle right, lower middle left and bottom right.

1. First try was with the polystyrene casing on and temperature on incubator set at 38:
TL - 36.9
UMR - 37.3
LML -35.8
BR - 36.3

2. I now took off the polystyrene casing and left it for an hour. Temp increased to 38.3:
TL - 36.3
UMR - 38.1
LML -36.8
BR - 35.6

3. I now added a hoody over the incubator for an hour. Temp set at 38.3:
TL - 36.8
UMR - 38.1
LML -36.8
BR - 36.4

4. Finally i moved the hoody so it didnt cover the UMR area. Temp set at 38.3:
TL - 36.9
UMR - 37.5 * not sure if ive mixed up this reading and the one below
LML -38.5 *
BR - 36.4

Anyway as you can see.... i still cant get all 4 areas at a similar temperature :( !
hmm Looks like you have more temperature-issues with yours than I did with mine, although you are measuring on different places than I did so maybe I just didn't discover it.

You've basically tried most possible combinations. What about using the casing and a hoodie to cover? That didn't work for me, but who knows.

Another possibility that I didn't try is to add a small jar with water (closed jar that is - this is NOT for adding humidity). This should stabilise the temperature throughout the bator, but it will also mean that the bator has to heat more mass so it would have to work harder... So I'm not sure how that will play out.

Another way to combat the issue is to rotate the eggs; make sure that the warmest spot doesn't stay above 37.5C (or maybe pushing towards 38C is better?), and after a few days swap the eggs around.

On the bright side; I just did an autopsy of my last 5 eggs, and to my surprise there wasn't too many chicks that had died from the temperature-issues (I had one quite at the very beginning, one in the late stages, and one close to hatch). Keep in mind it is the first week that the embryoes are most vulnerable, and that's when my temperatures differences where most severe...

Hi all,

I used to incubate eggs and had success using a polystyrene made one i got off ebay.

Anyway i want to start again but there are so many on the market its hard to know whats best.

I want it to ideally hold around 24 eggs and automaticaly turn the eggs.

Has anyone had experience using these, i am struggling to find reviews:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24pcs-Au...-/303872730191?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Or if you can recommend any that would be great.

Thanks
Brinsea is pretty good. 9/10 chicks hatched but I did have an issue measuring humidity and it is more on the expensive side.

10 pounds seems like a steal of a deal, even if you have to buy a seperate power cable (I can't see what shipping is though)

Total is £41 and I did order it however I got in touch with the seller to adress my issues and he doesn't understand english! so I won't even accept that hunk of junk and it's going straight back again. Not taking any risks.
A seller should at least be able to answer my question whether it has a working uk power plug...

ps: this is what the upgraded model should look like as seen on Amazon (but do not order from there as it is sent from china):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LNNZMY7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1R6ASNQH70TQQ&th=1

Last edited:
Total is £41 and I did order it however I got in touch with the seller to adress my issues and he doesn't understand english! so I won't even accept that hunk of junk and it's going straight back again. Not taking any risks.
A seller should at least be able to answer my question whether it has a working uk power plug...

ps: this is what the upgraded model should look like as seen on Amazon (but do not order from there as it is sent from china):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LNNZMY7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1R6ASNQH70TQQ&th=1
Ah, rather high shipping then - that changes things a bit...

Strange, on this site is says it is the 24S that is the upgraded version (although, as said, I don't think there is much difference between the 24S and 24A)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I hate to say it, but with incubators you do get what you pay for. If you are buying in your hatching eggs not investing a decent incubator could cost you more in the long run. Brinsea are decent enough & there are enough second hand ones out there. Brinsea also do spares and are very helpful if you do pick something second hand that needs a bit of tlc. It’s very possible to pick up a bargain on ebay if you look at the terrible listings at odd times of the day Have you looked on the other freeads & second hand sites like preloved & Facebook too? They are often less expensive than eBay.

anvia, you are absolutely correct but if you had been following the thread you will motice that I build my own incubators and it costs me more than £40 to build one.
Granted it is the best incubator I have ever used but it has no egg turner!!!!!!

That is why I thought I would try this one since it has 1) temp regulator 2) 2x fans 3) 60w heating element 4) egg turner 5) candling light

Anyway I thought I knew what I was ordering but had a backup just in case.

The incubator arrived today and it is the old model - it is completely scratched and the egg trays have a solid plastic cover to house the led lights which is exactly what I did not want as this does not provide good air circulation aorund the eggs - it has also been noted the lights are not strong enough to do any good.

I knew all this before I orderd the incubator but with the upgraded model these issues were fixed.

However there will still be crappy ebayers trying to get of their old stock and just advertise it as the newest model which is what happened to me. Luckily I am covered by ebay so not the end of the world.

Except... and here is the big BUT.... the seller that I had as backup selling the right unit has since SOLD OUT.

So this seller selling me this scratched unit has inadvertently kicked me up the backside twice as a result as I can't even order the right one anymore now.

And we have another problem.

I just went to the post office to return this item. The post office is saying the seller has given me a label that is not accepted.

Ok so what do I do - get in touch with Ebay....

So does anybody know how to get in touch with Ebay? I always find their customer service is based on the moon and I haven't found a way to get through to them ever before so does that mean I've been ripped off?

Their phone number is just an automated recording. What do I do?

Edit: I've had to go to Paypal for help. I hate resolving problems.

Last edited:
anvia, you are absolutely correct but if you had been following the thread you will motice that I build my own incubators and it costs me more than £40 to build one.
Granted it is the best incubator I have ever used but it has no egg turner!!!!!!

That is why I thought I would try this one since it has 1) temp regulator 2) 2x fans 3) 60w heating element 4) egg turner 5) candling light

Anyway I thought I knew what I was ordering but had a backup just in case.

The incubator arrived today and it is the old model - it is completely scratched and the egg trays have a solid plastic cover to house the led lights which is exactly what I did not want as this does not provide good air circulation aorund the eggs - it has also been noted the lights are not strong enough to do any good.

I knew all this before I orderd the incubator but with the upgraded model these issues were fixed.

However there will still be crappy ebayers trying to get of their old stock and just advertise it as the newest model which is what happened to me. Luckily I am covered by ebay so not the end of the world.

Except... and here is the big BUT.... the seller that I had as backup selling the right unit has since SOLD OUT.

So this seller selling me this scratched unit has inadvertently kicked me up the backside twice as a result as I can't even order the right one anymore now.

I read the thread. You & others want a good incubator on a budget in the uk - perhaps you should re read what I wrote.
To clarify:
All I’m suggesting is you put that £40 odd into a decent quality used incubator from a reputable brand. If you hunt on the second hand sites you needn't faff about with the unbranded which as you have already discovered have numerous issues and you now have the added hassle of returning something you know you are already unhappy with. No incubator is perfect, even the reputable branded ones, but with some effort you don’t have to spend a fortune to get something you can rely on on a budget - particularly as you say you are capable of building your own - Brinsea’s are very fixable. Spare parts are available and their customer service is exceptional.

I’ve previously bought several “spares or repairs” Brinsea octagon’s with turning cradles and repaired them using genuine Brinsea parts it for less than £50 in total, and had the benefit of full support from Brinsea in fixing them, plus guarantees on those new parts. We currently have 6 Brinsea incubators, all with egg turners, various ages & models all in full working order & I rarely went over £50. Dont be put off by age. Brinsea design their incubators to be repaired.

If you are looking for a reliable incubator on a budget in the uk it can be done if you own a Phillips screwdriver & do your homework on spare part costs & are willing to look at second hand incubators. Yes they will probably be scratched & had a life & probably need a very deep clean. These will not be shiny & new, but once you’ve leaned how to use it you should end up with a decent quality incubator you can rely on.

Last edited:
Hi penk, good luck with yours. I haven't even unpacked mine, still trying to return it. Ebay have stepped in and are giving the seller 3 days to rectify it but since he doesn't understand english I can't see that happening.

Back
Top Bottom