Which is a better pet Chinchilla or Ferret

I've had both and like someone else said, they both have pros and cons. My chinchilla was a bit wild and she stayed in her cage a lot and hid. She really only came out and night but my entire family would get such a kick out of watching her when she had her dust baths and would make me give her a dust when we had company over just so they could see it. I never found it quite that fascinating.

Ferrets are much morel like cats and you can let them out more without worrying about them pooping all over. I might say they would be the better pet ifyou actually want to pet it. Predator animals are usually the better pet when compared to prey animals. They are just more intelligent and more sociable.

I have had both. I have Chins now. If you like a pet that you can hold and acts more like a cat, then a ferret would be better. They are comical and a lot of fun to have around.
The deciding factor for me is the clean up. My chins have a huge cage and I only clean it once every 2 weeks and there is no oder. Their poops look like mice poop.
My last ferret lived in the same cage (minus the chins) and everyweek I had to tear the whole cage down and scrub it. The smell is really bad. She just never caught on to the litter box and would poop in the corner of just about every shelf...and she had 5 stories of shelves. Some people have good luck with litter box training, but I have had several ferrets and never had much luck. They would poop in every corner of the house they had access to. The worst was when one was climbing into the bottom of my couch and pooping inside of it. It took me a long time to figure out where the awful smell was coming from and by then I had to throw out the couch. Yuck.
I like both, but the clean up is easier with a Chin.

Hmmmm ferret or Chinchilla?
I have both, the ferrets are whackos' seem to be on planet fun time constantly,
Chinchilla, well he is sweet and silly at times, loves to be held, doesnt bite,( well socialized Chin)

but given the choice over ferret or chin , I would go with a Guina Pig, always wants attention, doesnt smell, doesnt usually bite,

I have never owned a chin but have owned a few ferrets over the years. I think they are the most fun of any pet HOWEVER I didn't notice anybody else mention it and ferrets can require expensive vet care. They are prone to bowel obstructions And it seems that almost all will eventually develop Adrneo(sp.?) gland disease. Which will require a life time of medication. They also require a distemper shot.

Now having never owned a Chin I don't know what their care entails.

Just don't get a ferret unless you are willing to treat for these problems, knowing that an animal is prone to bowel obstruction and if they live long enough will almost always require a medication for a chronic disease and then not being able to financially afford to fix these problems is irresponsible.

If this isn't an issue then, I say get a ferret they are clowns covered in fur!

Good luck and have fun!

Quote:
I agree with the Guinea pig..get a young one and they are so sweet and crave your attention.

Quote:
I totally forgot about the Adrenal glad problem, which I am not sure why, I have a male with just such a problem, the medication ( dependant of area) is expensive, and there is no cure or quick fix for this problem.
I dont mind seeting aside the cost each month for his meds because after all thats what I do, take in animals that need to be rehomed.
Not very many ever leave here and those that do have had a good life and lots of love, breaks my heart when I lose one to illness or old age.

One theory as to why ferrets are so prone to adrenal gland disease involves the early age at which they are altered. It's usually done by the time they're 6 weeks old. The theory is that removing the source of sex hormones this early doesn't allow the other glands and organs dependent on those hormones to develope properly. Ferrets are also prone to pancreatic disease and tumors - another possible effect of early removal of the sex organs. I have spent a lot of $$$$ on our rescue ferrets attempting to treat these issues and prolonging their lives. Fortunately, I worked as a vet assistant and got discounts. Ferrets can live to be 10, but even 6 is considered old by some. They really are fun, but I'd keep an account to deal with the vet costs!

i've had both chinchillas and ferrets and for me chin hands down wins! they are so easy to keep. no smell at all...of course keep their cage clean. with the ferrets, i loved them as well but it was nearly impossible to keep the smell away. my chins were just as friendly as my ferrets and loads of fun.

Back
Top Bottom