Which is an easier first? Ducks or chickens?

CMG

Chirping
Nov 8, 2020
I want to incubate something but I don’t know if it’s easier for a beginner to hatch ducklings or chickens.

Chickens would be easier. Only reason I say this is because ducks do better with some cool down times and extra misting during incubation. They also require some extra needs after hatching and more cleaning of the brooder unless you do more research and have everything set up just for ducks. I learned you don't want ducks and chicks in the same brooder they are messy little critters.But then again im a hands on type person so you might wanna start with them, only way you'll learn is to jump in and do it.

I’m asking if it’s easier to INCUBATE them, not raise them.

Chickens would be easier. Only reason I say this is because ducks do better with some cool down times and extra misting during incubation. They also require some extra needs after hatching and more cleaning of the brooder unless you do more research and have everything set up just for ducks. I learned you don't want ducks and chicks in the same brooder they are messy little critters.But then again im a hands on type person so you might wanna start with them, only way you'll learn is to jump in and do it.
Thanks!

I’m asking if it’s easier to INCUBATE them, not raise them.
Its really not hard to incubate duck eggs. Basically only real difference is the mama duck leaves nest and takes a swim so she's gonna be a little wet when she settles back in. The temps run the same. They just need a little 10 15 minute cool down during incubation each day and a little mist of water to raise the humidity and let it fall back out. When I incubated mine I didn't mist mine I'd just shoot a little water in the incubator with a syringe and prop the top open a little while while I was out doin stuff and I honestly didn't do that everyday. But I did get a better hatch rate when I did go by the book. Between work,kids,and a farm 2 hours away plus other animals I incubate to whats convenient for me. You can do it though, I have turkey eggs goin in lockdown Wednesday its the only eggs I tried to hatch and failed at so I'm giving it another whirl.

Back
Top Bottom