Which is better for a rabbit indoors or outdoors

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi I have a outdoor rabbit and I want to bring her in doors but I have dogs so would have to keep her in one room but which is better for a rabbit being indoors where I can keep an eye on her all day or being outdoors in the heat I've watched videos about the pros and cons and there seems to be a lot of cons when keeping a rabbit outdoors and some pros on keeping them in doors which do you think is best for a rabbit

I like my rabbits outside. They dig, pee, and poop a lot, and chew stuff up. Keeping a rabbit in the house I think is harder, but it's all we personal decision. My rabbits have other rabbits by them for company too, so I don't feel bad they are outside like you might with a solitary bunny.

I do both. My bunnies go outside in the morning, and get taken in at night in the spring and summer. They stay indoors all winter and fall. They are both litter trained and have lots of chew toys, so I don’t have any problem with chewing. It’s the safest option in my area (lots of predators), and they both get to stay indoors during the cold winter months while getting to run around in a large pen eating dandelions.

I wouldn’t keep a solitary bunny outside, they are social animals and need companionship, wether from people or another bunny. Another thing to think about are wire cages, they tend to be hard on a bunnies feet and a bit small.

My rabbit is outside. I can't imagine having her inside all the time. I don't like my indoor cats litter boxes much less adding the rabbit. They would be outside cats if I could do so safely. A couple times a week I bring my rabbit inside and let her run around. More often if it is really hot so she has some cool down time. She is in the same barn as my goats so she isn't totally alone. Honestly if you have dogs not crated inside outside is likely safer.

I have dogs but my bunnies and they never mix (bunnies have their own room). I MUCH prefer my bunnies litter to my cats, in the future I may just have house bunnies lol. It doesn’t smell anywhere as bad. I use a pan of hay so it just smells like hay if cleaned regularly.

Nice that your bun has goats to hang out with:)

I have dogs but my bunnies and they never mix (bunnies have their own room). I MUCH prefer my bunnies litter to my cats, in the future I may just have house bunnies lol. It doesn’t smell anywhere as bad. I use a pan of hay so it just smells like hay if cleaned regularly.

Nice that your bun has goats to hang out with:)

I just am too much of a dog person who wants all bathroom business done outside. Lol. My dogs get to hang out with the rabbit when she is inside but not unsupervised. Too risky even with my good dogs. But supervised the rabbit rules the roost climbing all over the dogs.

I keep my rabbits indoors. I live in the desert where half of the year is from 90F to 115 +. So indoors makes sense. They have their cage door open from morning til night.

All of my dogs over the years have gotten along with my rabbits -- many dogs can (but not all!)

With the right litter box set up, there really should be no odor. Twice a week litter box changes keep it odor free (with two rabbits). I can go a full week between cleanings with just one rabbit.

upload_2018-7-15_13-28-54.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom