Which is better pine shavings or straw?

i wasn't thinking that though when i built my breeder pens. it was for a few other reasons i did. the main one was to keep my whites clean. cuz the yard doesn't drain right and gets really muddy.

HPIM0873_114-2.jpg

this is how nice they stay all year cuz of being off the ground. the other reason was for predator control. we have never had a predator attach since we moved them here into the above ground coops and runs. they r also 4 in 1 pens to seperate breeds or colors. the easy cleaning is just an added bonus we realized later,lol.
silkie

Do you dump the straw/shavings right on the garden from the coop? Or do you let it sit for awhile first? Won't it burn my plants? Also, should I work it in the dirt?

Sorry so many questions, curious minds want to know. lol

idunno.gif
I have been using straw in my coop. Never heard of using construction sand. It would be alot cheaper than pine shavings too. I just acquired more babies, and I bet they would like walking inthe sand better than sharp straw. Two are blue silkie banties and thay can't be more than 3 or 4 days old. Theres a building supply place about 10 min. from me. Do you think I should try the construction sand? Thanks in advance!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
rughooker

Well I finally stopped buying pine shavings because I got tired of shoveling the wet slop out. So I replaced it with sand inside the coop as well as outside. So far so good.

I use pine shavings but am going to try mixing in some ground leaves this fall; 75% shavings and 25% ground leaves. I don't see why it has to be 100% of anything. Of course I may be finding out the hard way.

I use pine shavings in the coop, but in my modified version of the "deep litter method" I clean it out every day so it stays very dry. I have a small coop, though, and since I use a cat litter scoop and whisk broom I found hay/straw too hard to clean. You can't just pick up the piles without a bunch of hay!

I like shavings because I can easily tell when they are wet or dirty. Too hard to tell with hay.

I have also had some batches of hay that were very dusty/dirty, and I just never knew what I was going to get until I opened the bale. I didn't want my girls breathing too much funk in the coop.

Last edited:
Where would one buy pine shavings, and what does it cost? I had just assumed that straw was the thing, but after reading this thread I guess to ass-u-me anything was dumb.

Wouldn't adding that much pine to the compost or garden make it too acidic? I want to use all of my chicken manure/litter in the vegetable garden, and I think I've got soil tthat's already a little too acid.

Yes, pine shavings and cedar shavings would increase the acidity of the soil. In the east and midwest that might not be a terrible thing, but here in the NW we have very acidic soils already. I use straw and compost it before it goes in the veggie garden.

Back
Top Bottom